The Sewing Place

Inside pockets bag

Syrinx

Inside pockets bag
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Sooo, among the multitude of things I'm doing at the minute I have decided to attempt a bag or two. One for my mother who has been more supportive anh helpful for the last couple of months and I'd like to show my appreciation. And I have a lot of female cousins and aunts so I thought it could be a trial run for maybe some xmas gifts.

This is the bag design I'd like to attempt. It has a recessed zip and shoulder handles, internal pockets, a zipped on and a dividing pocket with extra slip pockets on it and the inside bits. It needs to be strong enough for her to shove all her work stuff in, heavy folders of paperwork, laptop, iPad, phone, wallet, keys. The electronics having their own pockets would be great. She always moans about lack of pockets.

I understand the concept of making a bag. And I have read a few tutorials on recessed zips so I feel ok with that. What I'm unsure about is how to make pockets on the inside strong enough to support the stuff and how to make a strong divider for the middle with some small pockets on for phone etc.

I also am unsure about interfacing - I know I need it, but no idea what type and if I sew the pockets with interfacing as well and sew thsough the lining fabric alone, or lining plus interfacing!

All of the tutorials I can find assume a level of making I don't have. The basic design and construction I am happy with, and I feel pretty confident I can draft a pattern so I've got the right size and design but it's the extra stuff I'm clueless on!

Please help me oh wise and experienced bag makers!

Lizzielogs

Re: Inside pockets bag
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 13:03:37 PM »
Hi Syrinx, I'm no expert but IMHO a lot of what you need to know is governed by what shape bag you are making.
Here's my thoughts, I'm sure someone else will be along to give you other ideas though.
Re the divider - I'm not a great fan  of hers but Debbie Shaw has a good tut on the basic process here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS3fkB46Bwo
Interfacing: for most of my bags I use high loft fusible interfacing which I buy by the roll, I am quite willing to send you a bit to have a look at along with any other interfacings/ stiffenings I have around for you to play with before you buy any - just PM or email me your address. If you go to one of the handbag making suppliers they list a lot of the interfacings/ stiffenings you can buy but again it depends on what you want the end result to be - here's one here to start you off https://www.u-handbag.com/ also somewhere out there is a tut on handbag interfacings but just at the moment I cant find the link.
Most handbags have a base no matter how you make them I always make sure the bottom of the interior pocket rests on the junction of the side wall/ base of the bag which gives it support. I cut the internal fabric, interface it with whatever the choice is then make the pocket (interfaced or not) and then sew the pocket to the lining before constructing the lining to fit in with the shell.
Just be aware that shell fabric = interfacing plus lining = interfacing folded over to make a neat edge makes A OT of fabric to put through a domestic machine which is what I use, you may have something more robust though!
Any help?? LOL
Trudi

Found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD0C5wzTshc&t=938s you just have to google the available equivalent to what she uses - I also have some scrim (car headlining) you can have a look at before you buy any xx

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 13:42:30 PM »
I don't make many bags, but I love making them with extra pockets!  Lots pf bag videos and online tutes, but if you have the basics, I'm sure you will manage.  I also like to put a key tape in which saves having to root around for keys at the bottom of your bag!

A good idea which I always intend to make is an inner bag with all the gubbins in, which you transfer from bag to bag.  Needless to say it hasn't materialised yet - although I've just found a UFO waiting to be finished! 

Look forward to seeing your bag!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 17:39:06 PM »
J I made one of those bag dividers - was fine for a while then it got all dramatic and collapsed in on itself despite having used the pelmet interfacing. So you might want to consider using the plastic stuff instead.

I went through a bag-making phase - made one for holiday when we did our marathon 3 months but it was too big so didn't get used and is no in service as a dance bag.  Then I made a weekender from some gorgeous batik - again too big, so is now used for storage.  Made a little cross body last week because I had a random lonely strap looking for something to fix to. Quite pleased with it although I have altered the fastener on it this afternoon. I've made laptop bags in faux leather and lined those with silk.

It seems that interfacings and fusibles are attached without seam allowances so you stitch beside it rather than through it. I generally use quilting weight cotton for the linings although I have been known to use silk  - just because I was trying to keep the wight down. The trickiest bit is getting crisp edges, I'm still working on that. Bobbin Girl are a good supplier of stuff and she is very helpful.

I'm sure you'll be fine with all the advice you've got on here from people who really know what they are talking about rather than me who just wings it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !