The Sewing Place

Draped tucks on a bodice

sewsilly

Draped tucks on a bodice
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
I am working on a wedding dress that has draped tucks covering the bodice and was curious... mine are folded down vs upwards, but all I have seen are upwards facing tucks, does it matter? Also, in stitching them down, is it better to sew the entire length or tacks in strategic places? I have previously sewn along the length on chiffon tucks but they puckered and I want these to lie smoothly against the bodice. 
Doing what I love and loving what I do... sewing...

Morgan

Re: Draped tucks on a bodice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
The 'fluting' technique shown on the video in the link is a different approach to draped folds/pleats, however the placement of the stitching lines is transferrable between that method and what you plan to do.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/34364/video-how-to-create-curved-tucks

Last year I did an alteration on a bodice with draped, diagonal pleating that moulded over the bust on one side of a bodice.
Each pleat was individually and neatly anchored by a line of hidden hand stitches along the entire line of the inside fold of the pleat so the pleat appeared to drape.  As each pleat ran at a slightly different angle, the visible folds landed on all sorts of different bias angles of the fabric.  As well as securing the pleated layer to the base, the lines of stitches controlled the folds and prevented them from distorting with the bias.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:16:09 AM by Morgan »

sewsilly

Re: Draped tucks on a bodice
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 15:58:19 PM »
I was trying to get that video to play last  night and it finally is going! Yes, I do want my pleats to float. I am going to take a running stitch along the inside fold and fingers crossed they stay as flat as I have pinned them!
Doing what I love and loving what I do... sewing...