The Sewing Place

Sway back adjustment

coffeeandcake

Sway back adjustment
« on: July 29, 2017, 19:39:23 PM »
Can someone suggest a good tutorial for a sway back adjustment, please?  My daughter appears to need one and we've had a root around online but there seems to be various methods.  I would like it to be fairly straightforward (don't want to put her off) and just assumed taking a wedge out of the back would work.  Would it?  Thank you

Catllar

Re: Sway back adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 22:43:13 PM »
Yes it would work - Make up a muslin and pin out the excess using a fish-eye dart. Transfer to pattern and job done! You're sure it is a sway back she needs and not just a shortened nape to waist or a bit of extra at the hip I guess?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Hachi

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 22:46:22 PM »
I like this tutorial that covers different seam lines:
https://patternscissorscloth.com/2010/12/05/sway-back-alterations-my-analysis/

I also really like Alexandra Morgan's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rODiDoenH7I&t=1067s

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:24:24 AM »
Thank you both.
Catllar - I just assumed it was a sway back as her back profile is quite concave, if that makes sense.  However, having read through the Patternscissorscloth link that Hachi provided I do wonder now if some other adjustment might be needed. 
Hachi - thank you for those links.  I have bookmarked both and will do some more experimentation to see what will work for her.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 22:03:49 PM »
I have a very curved lower spine.  I always find that a curved waistband is much better than a straight one for trousers / jeans.
Life's too short for ironing.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 22:39:18 PM »
I've bookmarked those too. I already know the technique and have used them a few times for other people but not for the people I sew most for so it's useful to store them for the days when it's not working properly and I need to work out what's gone wrong. Thank you Hachi.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.