The Sewing Place

It's Official..... I HATE geeses to pieces!!

Lowena

It's Official..... I HATE geeses to pieces!!
« on: July 30, 2017, 13:20:30 PM »
I have spent all morning determined to conquer fgs.
My problem, I have discovered, is this....... I can never find the diagonal line I draw, or fold, on the square with the needle.
It's difficult to see through my plastic shielded foot ( I don't have a completely open one ) and I can't see where the needle is dropping in relationship to the line. There are no marks on either the foot or the machine that I can line up to ensure accuracy.
I decided to give the Mystery quilt a rest and to do some practice blocks for  a completely different project..... the first block of which......involved need I spell it out??
My spleen has been vented and I'm off for a calming cup of tea  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

Re: It's Official..... I HATE geeses to pieces!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 13:55:58 PM »
You can always mark up the sewing line from the needle by putting a strip of sellotape or something alongside the line, down to the front of the machine. That won't harm your machine and can be taken off anytime.  Check it is  in line with a ruler and when you are sure it is, put on the foot and mark the line onto that with a fine pencil or whatever.  You can then line up your sewing just where you want it.  Hope this works for you.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

supergran

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 14:27:02 PM »
Oh Lowena, I do feel for you. It's so frustrating, isn't it? I'm exactly the same about scant 1/4 inches. I just cannot do them so they are even all the way from top to bottom, and I've given up on trying to do them now and just cut bigger and square up afterwards. If T&T's solution doesn't work for you, I would invest in an open toe foot, it's better than tearing your hair out.  :angry:

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 15:51:38 PM »
Or just never try them again.

Life's too short to do something you hate so much.  Just choose something else instead.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 16:23:41 PM »
Thanks girls.......Ella, you're speaking my language  :D :D
I've been trying more this afternoon, but.... they really are the work of  :devil:
I'm going through my pattern, hoping I can take out the blocks containing F.....G Geese without devastating the final layout...... verdict later  -<

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 18:22:16 PM »
Low just remember there are no quilt police.

If you are happy with another layout that's fine.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 18:56:40 PM »
I do hope your problem is sorted out and all is now going smoothly. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about quilting though, and I'm completely mystified and I hope you don't mind me asking  - what have geese to do with quilting?

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 19:02:34 PM »
As Supergran says life's too short; if there's another way which works for you use it.  Go with the tried and tested method of four HSTs. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 19:14:27 PM »
I think you're right Brenda, I've never had any trouble doing them that way.
Flying Geese is a block or part of a patchwork block Greybird. I don't know why, it looks nothing like geese..... it's more like arrowheads  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
Here is the offending item, Greybird...

a flying goose block !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:28 AM »
So named because...
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Thank you! I learn something new every day.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
Off with renewed vigour to clip those geeses wings  :ninja:

supergran

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
You can do it Low!  :snip:

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a great fan of HSTs (but I like doing geese).
There are loads of HSTs in the August BOM so if you do your geese I'll do the HSTs then we can both feel smug.
Life's too short for ironing.