The Sewing Place

What do you do with your quilts?

Vegegrow

Re: What do you do with your quilts?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 13:38:03 PM »
curtain interlining can be called domette as well as bump.. in comes in different weights and is usually pre-shrunk but you should check
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

arrow

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 13:41:16 PM »
Sorry about the wrong terminology. I was looking into lined curtains for the family cottage last year (single layer glass in the windows) and I discovered the rolls of what they call bump comes in at least three thicknesses and it's used for quilts too. I generally aim for the most commonly used words, but since English wasn't my first language I mess it up now and then. I don't always know the difference between American or British words either.

Vegegrow

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 13:47:04 PM »
Sorry about the wrong terminology. I was looking into lined curtains for the family cottage last year (single layer glass in the windows) and I discovered the rolls of what they call bump comes in at least three thicknesses and it's used for quilts too. I generally aim for the most commonly used words, but since English wasn't my first language I mess it up now and then. I don't always know the difference between American or British words either.

they look very very similar Arrow but curtain bump will only be 140cm wide while a quilting wadding /batting is about 240cm wide I think ... I think your English is excellent  0_0
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 16:12:50 PM »
Please don't apologise Arrow, it was my ignorance, I've never heard the term  :|
Your English is excellent and you wouldn't guess it isn't your first language. :) We are getting bombarded with American words and terms over here  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 16:32:56 PM »
I'd heard of "bump" but didn't have a clue what it was. Do they really line curtains with something like wadding? I thought they used calico or something like that. (I don't do curtains!)

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 16:34:52 PM »
Its for in between the curtain fabric and the lining to insulate and darken....

Get me !!! Like I know anything!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 16:38:05 PM »
You knew more than I did. We only use voile type curtains here, thank god. No lining required.  ;)

Ellabella

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 16:42:00 PM »
Very useful in houses with old draughty window frames, plus it often could make a cheap fabric hang better.

The only problem was that it made curtains very heavy esp full length ones.  If your track or pole was not fixed securely mayhem could ensue.

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 17:14:32 PM »
You win some... you lose some  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 17:38:23 PM »
Please don't apologise Arrow, it was my ignorance, I've never heard the term  :|
Your English is excellent and you wouldn't guess it isn't your first language. :) We are getting bombarded with American words and terms over here  :(
calico/muslin
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 19:22:16 PM »
Getting back nearer the topic...

I have made quilts for people as gifts - subtly sounding them out first - usually for those birthdays with zeros, or other important occasions, and I sold some when I dabbled in craft fairs for a couple of years.

About 5-6 years ago since the cupboard was jammed full, I took a whole lot to a gathering of DH's university friends and said they were free to good homes, the only stipulation being that they must be used, not end up in another cupboard. If people offered payment, I told them to give a sensible amount of money to a suitable good cause. They nearly all went, and I didn't miss them as much as I'd expected. And it is nice to see them used when we visit.

Now the cupboard is filling up again. Any takers?