The Sewing Place

Twisted Spiral FPP Quilt - Follow thread

Syrinx

Twisted Spiral FPP Quilt - Follow thread
« on: July 31, 2017, 17:59:43 PM »
So here it is. Final planning has been done, and fabric chosen, so perfect time to start the thread. This will be a follow along thread, so I'll be popping every single step out for you to peruse and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I decided to make a lap quilt, 60" x 60", using an FPP design I haven't used before. It's a nested square spiral or twisted log cabin design. Due to the nature of the design you need mutiple blocks in order to get the full effect. As I wanted a lap quilt, that meant I had to shrink the block to 5" in order to get a good volume of blocks so the design show well. This means I will have 10 blocks by 10 blocks - that's 100 blocks! But as it's FPP I'm not too worried, and as each block is identical, just spun 90 degrees it will be a long game of repetative sewing along lines!

As it's a square spiral there are 4 arms and I had to decide the colours and fabrics. I like blue and green, so I thought blue and green had to be in it! That left me with the choice of leaving it with just two colours, or going up to three or four colours. I decided that three colours would be the best, as I would need to go for a contrast colour to make up the fourth. I felt that staying in the same area of colour would be nice so went with purple. Each arm is made up of 8 segments, so that means 8 different shades of each colour needed. That also means that there are 32 pieces in each block! With three colours, one colour will happen twice on each block, and I felt the blue would be a good middle to the green and purple, so that's the plan!

Being such a small block the fabrics chosen must be basics or blenders. Looking at a print out to scale of the block, I thought basics were the best option. A print fabric at that scale would not work at all.

As there are 10 5" blocks to the width and length that leaves me with 10" spare, so I spent a while planning my border. Do I go for a 5" border all round or a double border of 2" and 3"? I'm currently leaning towards a double border, but will leave my final choice to seeing the main top all finished.

I was very naughty today and went on Fat Quarter Shop and bought a bunch of Moda FQs in Bella Solids greens, blues, and purples. As they are an American company it will take a while to arrive but I will do piccies as soon as!

I do have some design pictures but I'll leave that for the next post.

This is generally how my design process works, find a design, make up the blocks/pattern and then focus on colours, then on fabrics. Decisions on borders and the colours etc of those and the backing will be made further down the line, but it always hangs in the mind. On a quilt with such a limited palette, much like the bargello in my picture, it can be a hard one to decide the borders until it is finished, as a contrast may be necessary. The bargello just had a deep navy to border and blend, but that's not always the desired effect. The quilting designs also come into it as they may become design features in the borders, as they won't necessarily be on the main quilt as the piecing will most likely (but maybe not!) be the foremost feature. It's all very fun designing, and I like to have everything planned out before I go.

So, any questions?

Lowena

Re: Twisted Spiral FPP Quilt - Follow thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 18:07:26 PM »
Ooh, sounds exciting Syrinx. Thanks so much for all your effort  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 21:11:33 PM »
Ooooh! 

Keep posting and include photos.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 21:34:59 PM »
Exciting!
Remember, keep instructions simple.
Can't wait to start.

supergran

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 22:29:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. I'm glad you chose a spiral, they look so gorgeous.  :)

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
Blimey!

Well done Syrinx, I'll be following closely!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Teeny weeny weeny pieces but in my favourite colour combo (purple and green...also the chosen colours of the Suffrage movement). Thanks for this Syrinx. I'm all eyes!!!  :loveit:
Emmeline Pethick-Lawrence, editor of the weekly newspaper, Votes for Women, wrote, 'Purple as everyone knows is the royal colour, it stands for the royal blood that flows in the veins of every suffragette, the instinct of freedom and dignity...white stands for purity in private and public life...green is the colour of hope and the emblem of spring.'
Every day's a school day!!!!  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 13:37:37 PM »
I'm officially in awe of FQS. Every time I order from them the customer service and whole process is lovely. I generally get my moda from them as they have more choice and excellent pre cut bundles and it's cheaper! Well I ordered on Monday and it just got delivered. I don't know about you but from Texas to Berkshire in 2 days is pretty impressive in my books!

Each FQ paxk came with a lovely ribkon and a free pattern so happy bunny here!

It also means I'll be able to start sewing a whole lot sooner than I thought. I just hope I have enough fabric...

Each FQ pack is 12 FQs in different shades, so I just have to narrow that down to 8 and I'll have 4 FQs left over from each bundle to do other things with!

Have attached some pictures :D I'll get going on adding the design pictures as well. If anyone wants a copy of my block just pm me and I'll see what I can do - either link to where I find designs or make you one to the size you need. I always end up messing around with designs and changing sizes etc so happy to help. I doubt any of you will be crazy enough to want the 5" version, but bigger is available ;)

Any thoughts on the colours I've bought? I rather like them and it's going to be hard to decide which 8 of each to use!

supergran

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 16:08:34 PM »
That delivery is really impressive Syrinx. It can take a couple of weeks to get from England to Spain, so I bet it would take a heck of a lot longer from America to here!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 16:13:00 PM »
Ooooh I want those bundles... they are just fab!

The lime green and the purple are going to ZZZZiiinnnggg!!!!

Can you post a link to the site??? or will they be at FoQ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 16:17:00 PM »
Love the colours and two days for delivery is amazing.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 16:47:20 PM »
I know! I was expecting over a week - and bonus - no customs duty this time :O which makes it even cheaper!

FQS are amazing and my favourite fabric shop. They have daily flash sales, regular sales and all of the fabrics in the whole world ;) plus a really easy website! Before I link it - a warning - you will want to buy something, many things, all of the things! https://www.fatquartershop.com/

I'm really hoping the green and purple will zing off each other and look beautiful with the blue relaxing between them :D

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 17:03:39 PM »
I just couldn't buy from abroad, my hand just wouldn't press the keys  :devil: But.... the colours look lovely and I hope you enjoy stroking them for a bit Syrinx  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Although I would rather shop locally, I have no qualms about buying from abroad if I can't get what I want where I live. It's only the thought of sky high postage costs that has put me off even looking in the past, but after Syrinx's post I checked out FQS and it is fantastic. I have never seen so much variety anywhere before, and those fat quarter bundles are wonderful. None of the UK shops seem to sell much in the way of tonal bundles, at least, none of the ones I have used in the past. The best I could find were fat 8ths from The Bramble Patch iirc.
I will have to think seriously about getting some from FQS, and if you plan it right you can get quite a lot for a set amount of postage. Thanks Syrinx, you're about to bankrupt me!  :D

Syrinx

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
FQS is amazing. They do their own bundles as well as those produced by the fabric producers, they do full FQ bundles of entire collections, they do yardage, batting, notions, books, patterns, they do everything! I love them. The variety is wonderful. And being American it's all cheaper. Each FQ bundle I got cost $28 - about £20. That's for 12 FQs in premium moda fabric! Kaffe Fasset is also more agreeable in price.

Everything I've ever bought from them has been spot on and generous in cut :)

I did warn you about your wallets!