The Sewing Place

Holiday Block of the Month - August - Hunters Star +

BrendaP

Re: Holiday Block of the Month - August
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 23:17:42 PM »
At risk of ruffling feathers, I think that block is Carpenter's Wheel/Star, not Hunter's Star.

I agree with Deafoldbat.

A Hunters star block is made with four sub-blocks, each of which is divided diagonally to be half light and half dark but with diamonds (or two triangles) in the corners so that when the sub blocks are put together the diamonds in the corners form stars. 

The relative size of the stars can vary and there are numerous ways of contructing the blocks; diamonds joined with a strip against a triangle, HSTs, foundation piecing etc.

The block image is pulled from 'tinterweb, the mini quilt is mine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 23:36:06 PM »
I've just been looking at this book
and found this diagram.

On the left it shows a Carpenter's wheel block (AKA Hands all around) and on the right it shows the same block with Hunter stars added.

Imi's block is a variation on the Carpenter's wheel without the Hunter stars.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
Ahem!

It is Syrinx's beautiful block Brenda ... I'm on my hols!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
Ahem!

It is Syrinx's beautiful block Brenda ... I'm on my hols!!!

My apologies :o :o :o

Actually, what this is highlighting is the fact that there are lots of traditional block patterns and many of them have different names, sometimes several names for one design, sometimes several designs with the same name or very subltel variations in the construction - Flying geese Lowena. 

It's just the same with lacemaking, though there the confusion is often techniques or tools which have more thanone name.

What it comes down to is the need for photos to make things clear

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
sometimes several designs with the same name or very subltel variations in the construction - Flying geese Lowena. 

That variation would be so subtle as to be non - existant Brenda  :D :D Unless I can do them by using hsts only,( whan their sizing doesn't have to fit with other shapes - i.e Dutchman's Puzzle )  I'm having nothing to do with geese.....ever  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Definitely Brenda! Everything has different names - I'm guessing regional variation as well comes into it. I learned the hunters star as just the central star and a different way of making the big design you pictured - it's all so interesting isn't it! I like this method because it's much simpler than the diamonds. Though it actually suggests every block should be made using templates! Which I won't do haha. It is a very old book, but a great reference.

Oh Low Dutchmans puzzle is easiest as FPP. I never do it unless I can FPP it! So much hassle otherwise with all those geese!

This block is all squares and HSTs. So pretty easy. And as you found out, it's very versatile and the colours are endless as long as you contrast strongly with the background :)

Love those colours and how you put them together.

fajita

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 19:10:33 PM »
I've done this one. Basically followed your colours, syrinx, but using my own shades.
It's not perfect, but it's perfectly adequate  :P
Thanks for the instructions.
Might get time to do some different months now.

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
Beautiful fajita ....(beautiful Fajita Droool ... )

Off into the BOM HOF you go honey....

:angel:

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »
Isn't that a lovely block?  <3

supergran

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
I'm not sure I've got all my lights and darks in the right places, or even quite where I've gone wrong, but hey ho, I can live with it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
I think you've got it all spot on.  A lovely colour combination.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
That's lovely SG  :flower:

fajita

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 13:38:37 PM »
Lovely colours super gran. Well done.

Iminei

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 19:35:46 PM »
Oh, that is beautiful SG!!! Bravo

Away into the BOM HOF with you ....

:angel:

Ploshkin

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
Well, I think I have redeemed myself after my non shimmering dog's dinner.
I can't say I particularly enjoyed doing this block (all those triangle points) but I do like the finished result so it was worth it.  (That's my side of the bargain kept Lowena, I hope your geese are progressing)
My 4 corner bits could do with being a bit more yellow - the fabric is a really pretty colour but, as I discovered, only when it is folded up.  When there is only one layer it is quite thin (it is a quilting cotton) and the background colour looks more cream than yellow.  Anyway, here it is.
Life's too short for ironing.