The Sewing Place

Lidl offers

hernibs

Lidl offers
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
Was in Lidl this morning - see they have a singer at £79.99 - not interested in that but lots of sewing threads and sets if you are interested .....I honestly prefer good thread in my machine - maybe if I had an overlocker I might be interested in cones....but I won't have one - enough to cope with without having to learn how to thread those pernickey things if I am reading you folks correctly.

maliw

Re: Lidl offers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 14:17:30 PM »
I've just had a look on the website, it appears that the threads aren't available here until Sunday but 2 for £2 is a bargain for overlocker thread if it is any good. Thanks for the info.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 19:22:12 PM »
... maybe if I had an overlocker I might be interested in cones....but I won't have one - enough to cope with without having to learn how to thread those pernickey things if I am reading you folks correctly.

Take it from me, overlockers are the work of Satan.  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 20:30:51 PM »
Take it from me, overlockers are the work of Satan.  0_0

Oh dear. That sounds like you've had problems in the past.   :(.  I find once people are shown how to use them properly they find them indispensable.  And of course, there are some I wouldn't give house room to.   :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 21:07:37 PM »
I bought the Lidl Singer special and then failed to lace up the beast.  The course teacher had to do it for me and then it was left in the box for nearly a year.  I belatedly discovered that my little Brother sewing machine has an overlock foot and this is good enough for me.  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 21:35:00 PM »
There's a world of difference between a cheepie overlocker and a good overlocker.

I started a good few years ago with an expensive bit of rubbish from Toyota - so difficult to get the tension right and when it did it didn't stay right for long  :ninja: and only three-thread so only good (sometimes!) for edge neatening.    I've since upgraded to a Bernina and I wouldn't be without it, especially for jersey and stretch fabrics.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:26:54 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 22:10:59 PM »
Ahhh. Lidl Singer overlockers, bane of my life!   I am responsible for many of them being returned for a refund. 
Agree BrendaP.  Wouldn't be without mine either. 

Swisslass

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »
Lidl overlock thread was on offer here last week, so I stocked up, its fine to use. One of my friends has bought a Lidl overlocker, I'm keen to have a go when she gets back from her hols.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Lilacs

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
Love my Lidl overlocker! 3 years later, it's still going strong and much easier to handle than the Janome I was obliged to use at an adult ed class.

maliw

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 17:06:14 PM »
I love my overlocker, wouldn't be without it. Not a Lidl one but I started with a Brother and now I've got a Babylock - DDIL has the Brother.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 18:13:14 PM »
Love my Lidl overlocker! 3 years later, it's still going strong and much easier to handle than the Janome I was obliged to use at an adult ed class.

You are lucky.  Some work but most I've got my hands on have been dreadful. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 18:53:57 PM »
I'm not interested in the machine but I'm going to try and remember to have a look at the overlocker thread.  I've got a Janome and it's behaved beautifully over the 20 years or so I've had it and believe me it's had some hammer, actually I probably mean abuse  :S

sewandtell

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 12:19:58 PM »
I bought a Lidl Singer overlocker in March this year.  Didn't expect much but thought it worth a punt and have to say it's been great (much to my surprise!).  Also bought some of their cones of thread and they've been fine too.  :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 17:56:11 PM »
I bought 12 cones of the thread yesterday, I wasn't going to but