The Sewing Place

Fitting men's trousers under the tummy

tumblina

Fitting men's trousers under the tummy
« on: August 02, 2017, 14:53:55 PM »
I think I might need to do some unselfish sewing... DH has one pair of trousers that "fit" in that they don't cut off circulation, but because he wears them under his tum they are hugely baggy in the crotch. How would one go about adjusting a pattern for this? Slant the front waistband down? Overall shorten the crotch depth? He's supportive of my efforts (loves the plaid shirt I made him this winter) but isn't the most patient when pins are nearby. Doable, or massive tailoring project?  :o

toileandtrouble

Re: Fitting men's trousers under the tummy
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 16:02:12 PM »
Get him to put on a pair without doing up the button and fly. Pull them up until the crotch fits properly. (probably need to pin the waistband to his shirt now)  Put a line of safety pins along the place where you would like the new waistband to run. Note if the zip needs bringing in or letting out below that line. Take them off and adjust your pattern to suit.  By the way, as they age, men's bottoms drop too -it's not just us! Taking a deeper 'scoop' at the back of the crotch seam (perhaps only 1/4" or 0.5cm) allows the body part to lift up for a better fit. Sometimes that is enough to allow the waistband to fit above the tummy, although that might need a bit extra room too, as in an extra 1/2" or 1 or 2cm in depth at the front.
Don't forget that lifting the waist might mean he needs extra length in the leg.
Let us know how you get on.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m