The Sewing Place

Who uses interchangeable needles?

Ploshkin

Who uses interchangeable needles?
« on: March 04, 2017, 15:59:10 PM »
I'm tempted to buy a set of Knitpro interchangeable needles.  I've had some of their beechwood dpns and they're wonderful.  I don't normally knit on a cable (I've only used one for finishing necks in the round) but I know a lot of people do now. 
Does anyone use them?  Are there any drawbacks?
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Who uses interchangeable needles?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 16:42:45 PM »
I got the Knitpro interchangeable set with the plastic needles but found that the tips on the smaller gauges got damaged so am slowly replacing them with the wonderful beechwood ones as and when I start a new project that needs a new size.
I love them, once you get the hang of screwing them together really firmly they are really good.
I did a ladies cardigan all in one piece
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizzie-5
and found it very handy to use the shorter cords as stitch keepers for the sleeves etc, as they come with screw-in end stops.

Maximum

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 17:56:11 PM »
I have a set and love them. The tips are Symfonie and are very smooth. Anything finer than 3.5mm though and I use the metal Karbonz tips. It is important to use the little key to tighten the tips and do shop around as the price does vary. I have used them for knitting in the round and straight and the whole set is so portable.

Didi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
I use them and love them !! I knit a lot on the train on the way to work and they are so much easier to transport than traditional needles I also find them to put less stress on my wrists they do some square ones which are brilliant if you have weak wrists. The plastic ones are ok but I have managed to snap a few so I am replacing them with the symfonie or metal ones. You do have to make sure you have twisted them on tightly as they can come undone I have just got in the habit of tightening them every few rows

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 20:11:03 PM »
Thank you ladies, I think you've convinced me.  I found a sweater pattern that was knitted top down and in the round so no sewing up  0_0
I haven't got good wrists and have tendonitis so it sounds as if it would make it easier.  Not sure what you mean by square Didi - do you mean square section needles or a square cable.  I can't picture either.

Didi

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 21:46:54 PM »
http://knitproneedles.co.uk/index.php/shop/knitpro-cubics

They do them in the symfonie as well I have the metal ones but may have to try these

Maximum

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 21:48:58 PM »
The square needles are the Cubics range. I have not tried them but the blurb says they are good for beginners or those with wrist problems. Maybe find a shop where you could have a play with the different types and shapes of material. I find my set light weight and easy to use and the weight of the knitting is taken in my lap rather than spread over the length of conventional needles. Really portable as well and if you need the tips for another project you just put stoppers on the cable and return the tips and continue when ready.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 21:51:23 PM »
Me! I can't remember the last time I used straight needles now. I use Chiaogoo ones as I am allergic to nickel and these are nickel free.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 22:04:08 PM »
I think I've been knitting too long to move over to square section needles - a step too far.  I would have thought it would take a while to get used to them.
Anyway, I've done the deed.  While I've not been here I've ordered a set of symphonie interchangeable needles.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 14:44:56 PM »
Thanks for the link - I recently bought 32" circs for a shawl but only to hold all the stitches in a shawl - just going back and forward etc....however I think I'm too old to change my habits...and I have endless sets of straights.....I will think about these needles as I like their portableness - top down stuff scares me to bits really and I steer away from it....I hate storing the long needles - certainly one set which does all would be handier but can I change?  We'll see!

Maximum

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 17:53:56 PM »
Wow Ploshkin - you don't hang about! Really hope you like them. Hernibs, it's never too late. I hadn't knitted for years but I bought a set of Knit Pro interchangeables and haven't used a conventional needle since. Not quite sure what to do with my assorted collection of long needles, some from my Mum and probably some even older. Maybe they can just stay hidden away in their box