The Sewing Place

Frister Rossman model R

Roger

Frister Rossman model R
« on: August 05, 2017, 23:34:31 PM »
I love the look of this thing, and wish I could give it a home! It's a real looker:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263122605653
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

Re: Frister Rossman model R
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
It's a real beauty, if you like it so much why not go for it? You may never see another and then regret not bidding for it, besides which even if you haven't got room for it you could always have a play on it then sell it  :D

Roger

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 20:56:39 PM »
theres an embargo on spending/sewing machines in the house at the moment... apparently they need to start earning their keep...

especially as i bought 2 recently even if I haven given 1 to my sister in law.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
Lovely looking machine Roger, although, like you, I'm being monitored closely on the machine purchase front.  I bought the Featherweight on condition that a few of the other machines would be sold.....  ;)

I think I may have got a buttonholer in under the radar, I'm thinking , hoping he won't notice it when the post comes.

I have to keep reminding OH that bargains don't count as real purchases  -<.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
I've managed to get 2 as birthday/Christmas presents, the 95 and a new one I'm waiting to arrive... (fingers crossed)...

but I'm feeling a bit guilty about purchases that are just for me, and i really need to stop cleaning machines and start using them again.

My SiL seems very pleased with Bernina 900... it was a far more suitable machine for her than me...

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
I bet she was!  ;)

Buttonholer came in (with no comment made), but it is missing a part... It may well still work, but not holding my breath :(

I'll test it out later.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
Good smuggling of a buttonholer! I'm sorry to hear it's missing a part, which bit is AWOL?

I'm quite looking forward to doing more sewing again!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
It isn't like a Singer buttonholer Roger, the templates are inserted at the back of the buttonholer, with a special tool.  Without the tool, you have to remove the top cover which involves 2 screws.  Apart from the tool, there are a couple (?) of templates missing, and these are special, looking like half a template.

The buttonholer is labelled B-5 HA.L.M, with no indication of what sewing machine models it fits, although it looks like a standard low shank.  I've taken some pics (below), the missing piece is number 193, and is a sort of hinged slider arrangement to insert and remove the templates.

I threw caution to the wind here, and spent £10 on it. ;) I got it reduced as the chap selling it didn't know what it was.  I think it will work OK, it will just be a pain unscrewing the top to change templates.  I'll let you know when I've tried it!

Jessie

Roger

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I think I have one too, I'll see if I can get you a pic of the tool

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
There is a Frister and Rossmann Model E (I think) for sale locally at £45 in very good cosmetic condition.  I was admiring its lines and decals a few days ago.

I am tempted, but I think I only have room for one vintage machine other than my chainstitcher, and Singer Featherweights have my heart (although at the prices they are now on Ebay that might be all they ever have!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I have never been tempted since I bought my first Vintage Singer Acorn.  I have more than enough machines now that I have a Featherweight, and I'm afraid some will have to move on to pastures new, as space is becoming a problem.... -<

I must do an inventory at some point, but it would probably terrify me!  :)

Jessie