The Sewing Place

Broke a needle, skipping stitches :/

Kittensposies

Re: Broke a needle, skipping stitches :/
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 21:31:29 PM »
Ahhh I had no idea about the bobbins!!! And the worst thing is I've mixed mine all up and I have no idea which is which, guess I should buy new?

My new stretch needles arrived today along with some nice thread!!

Thanks soooo much for all the advice!! Will put it all into practice this weekend and see how it goes :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 21:56:01 PM »
If you're not sure which are genuine buy a few from a reputable supplier and then compare very closely with your others ...height was a tell tale sign with mine.. they were the same size across
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Kittensposies

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
Great idea, thank you!! Need to pop out and get a zip today so will see what the shops have :)

Kittensposies

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 15:39:16 PM »
Argh!!! Right, resurrecting this thread as my machine is back in the dog house.

I did everything on the list above, and it behaved beautifully for my last two items - shirt dress and shift dress - but just started sewing leggings and it's kicked off again.

I've used three new needles and the correct bobbins and good quality thread but it keeps skipping stitches.

Can a machine just be really bad at certain fabrics?? Do I need a new one??? :devil:

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 16:01:59 PM »
I had a bad day for machine needles yesterday, tried 5, and changed the thread before I got a decent stitch.  That's not happened for ages.  Maybe like my machine you'll have to try a couple of combinations.  My fabric was a jersey, but more a lightweight t shirt fabric, and just kept skipping stitches all along the seam.

Atm, it's sewing fine with a very fine needle (not ballpoint), and a change of thread.  No idea why it threw a tantrum, it's an old Singer and they are usually very forgiving.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kittensposies

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 21:25:37 PM »
I had a bad day for machine needles yesterday, tried 5, and changed the thread before I got a decent stitch.  That's not happened for ages.  Maybe like my machine you'll have to try a couple of combinations.  My fabric was a jersey, but more a lightweight t shirt fabric, and just kept skipping stitches all along the seam.

Atm, it's sewing fine with a very fine needle (not ballpoint), and a change of thread.  No idea why it threw a tantrum, it's an old Singer and they are usually very forgiving.

Jessie

Thanks Jessie, I'm glad I'm not the only one whose machine has inexplicable tantrums!!

Mine is only 18 months old and I'm getting quite annoyed. I have spent loads of money on different brands of needle and thread, bought new Janome bobbins... still hates jersey. Sews beautifully on non-stretch fabric but anything stretchy it has a complete meltdown (as do I!).

I have my overlocker but I am not confident doing whole garments on it as I've already ruined a few t-shirts by mangling inside corners  :S

Holly Berry

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 22:43:42 PM »
I have recently discovered Schmetz Microtex needles.  Initially it was for free motion embroidery and then discovered it worked well on both denim and slinky and cotton jersey.

It is a very sharp thin needle and is recommended for use on fine fabrics, laminates and densely woven. However on a blog The Sewing Directory it was described as the get out of jail needle.
http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/sewing-machine-needle-guide/
Procrastination get behind me

SkoutSews

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
This link about needles was given on the old site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U48srIlnWg  I saved it because it was so informative.  The others in the series are good too.

Holly Berry

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the link. I remember it from TSF.

I find needles a minefield, and the more I research, the more differing views I seem to get. The needle manufacturers obviously want to sell more needles, therefore the greater the variety, they hope more will be bought.

DementedFairy

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 21:31:45 PM »
I've converted to using microtex 90% of the time too.  They really are good
C'est moi!

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 22:28:09 PM »
I can vouch for the Schmetz Microtex needles.  I mostly use them now. :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Kittensposies

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
Thank you sooo much everyone!!! Microtex needles in the post from Barnyarns! Also ordered another batch of Schmetz stretch needles to triple check.

On the plus side I put my brave pants on and sewed my running leggings on the overlocker and didn't screw up too much!!

Will keep updating so I can show my hubby this when I tell him I neeeeeeed a new sewing machine ;)

Holly Berry

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
Will keep updating so I can show my hubby this when I tell him I neeeeeeed a new sewing machine ;)

You'll get plenty of encouragement and ideas to spend money here  0_0