The Sewing Place

Fur fabric

sewandtell

Fur fabric
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
I've been asked to make a teddy bear for my first grandchild.  I'm thrilled, even though my experience of soft toy making is nil!  First obstacle is that I'm finding it nigh on impossible to buy fur fabric with EN71 certification.  I've bought the filling easily enough.  Any ideas?  :)

Vegegrow

Re: Fur fabric
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
I was thinking about this after I replied to your first post on the introduce yourself thread.. you can get fire retardant spray but I certainly wouldn't use it on something that may be chewed and hugged by its owner.. so have you seen FR fur fabric on readymade toys.. ld it be worth emailing someone like this  https://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co.uk/index.php/joomla-templates
others may know more and be along to help
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

sewandtell

Re: Fur fabric
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 15:34:27 PM »
Thanks Vegegrow!  I've already been in touch with them and WeaverDee and another I can't quite remember the name of!  Mohair bear don't sell anything washable, just stuff for collectors bears and WD fur isn't flame tested - although it is sold for soft toy making!  I can't believe how tricky this is!  Seems bears now are made to look at but not actually suck, chew, wash and repeat!