The Sewing Place

Newbie saying Hi!

Barnyard

Newbie saying Hi!
« on: August 09, 2017, 20:14:08 PM »
 I have just recently happened across this lovely place and after reading many threads thought it might be a good idea to join in the fun. I do try to sew but it's mainly just bits of easy repair stuff, but I am trying to learn new things and get to grips with some of the machines I currently own.
I love spending my time restoring old Singer machines, I find an inner peace when working on them and having them stich and run perfectly at the end is such a great feeling. Most find new homes locally and some end up online depending on the time and type of machine I have here that is ready for a new home.
So, if you have questions about 15,99,201,221K models I will be around to hopefully help you.

I look forward to reading and posting to you all.

Barny

BrendaP

Re: Newbie saying Hi!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 20:18:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum - and please share your knowledge.

I'm a fairly recent convert to the vintage machines and have bought two this year; a 201K which I've been using all afternoon and is my machine of choice for straight stitching, and more recently a 221K.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Barnyard

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 20:39:52 PM »
Hi Brenda and thank you for the reply. I currently have 3 201k's the latest addition being a Tan coloured Aluminium version from 1956 that has been barely used. My 221k is a 1953 and was Initially going to be for my daughter as she is taking Textiles when she returns to School in September but after thinking it through we decided it might be a better option to see what she will be using at School, then replicate it at home. There are a few others lurking here also. A 99k a 15k (that I will never part with) and a dreaded 285k that whilst in stunning condition is just so bloomin noisy.  :o

Barny

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 20:39:55 PM »
welcome...to a fun bunch of like minded people who are happy to help and encourage.. enjoy :vintage:  :fabric: :sew: :thread:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

maliw

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 21:24:18 PM »
Hello and welcome, sorry I'm not into vintage machines but a lot of people here are so you will fit in well. Hope you enjoy TSP.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
Welcome to TSP Barnyard!  I love my old girls, and recently acquired a lusted after 221k, which may be the last ;)

Look forward to seeing you on the vintage boards!  Nothing wrong with pottering with an old Singer, very relaxing - my OH thinks I'm a bit bonkers!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 13:17:30 PM »
Hello and welcome from me  :D.
I think we are all a bit crazy for the vintage machines, I'm on number 9 and currently eyeing yet another one up  :S  :fish:

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 15:45:58 PM »
Hi and welcome from me too. I've only got one vintage - Singer 15 and I love it but it does need work and I'm petrified to start fiddling about with it. Need to change the bobbin winder assembly - at the moment I'm winding bobbins on another modern machine! Just need to get my big girl pants on and get in there!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Barnyard

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome  :D I will be sure to help where I can with queries on the "Old Girls" be it mechanical or electrical.

Catllar, if you would like help stripping the bobbin winder mech and getting it working again just ask away. Its not a difficult process.

Barny