The Sewing Place

Chewed up seams?

b15erk

Chewed up seams?
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:10:51 AM »
I have two overlockers, a very old Riccar, and a Pfaff 4850 Combi (O/L & C/S).  They are not in the first flush of youth, the Riccar being about 30 yrs old, the Pfaff considerably younger.

Recently, they have both been mis-behaving, and producing chewed up seams on certain fabrics/thicknesses.  Sometimes this was solved by cleaning the lint off before stitching, but sometimes not.  Last night, I resorted to flipping the blade back, to stop it making a mess.

I then got to thinking it might be the blades.  I haven't changed the blades on the Riccar for years, or on the Pfaff for several years.

Anyone know about changing blades?  Not much info about troubleshooting them, and I could find no illustrations of a badly cut seam edge, of the type I'm getting.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

Re: Chewed up seams?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Methinks that it's either that the blades need sharpening or replacing - the place that I suggested in the 'scissor sharpening ' thread sharpened both blades for my Janome overlocker for much less than the cost of replacing one blade!, so well worth a try.

Before going to that expense though, if it's possible on your machine to adjust the lower blade from side to side, try moving the lower blade very slightly to the right so that it makes better contact with the upper ( moving) blade - this might just delay the inevitable though.
Hope that's of some help  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
Thanks Kad!  Off to rootle around for your sharpening thread! 

I do have a local guy who sharpens my scissors, wonder if he could do it?  Hmmmmm.....

I'll have a look at the cost of new ones too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 13:58:07 PM »
If it's any help mine was doing it earlier this year, put new needles in, no joy, put a new blade in still no joy.  Eventually I took it to my machanic and it seems I'd accidentally knocked the lever to switch from 3 or 4 thread over to 2 thread  :fish:.  I never even thought of looking at that, ooooh I did feel stupid  :S

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »
Eventually established that it was a knife problem, but on both machines I struggled to undo the screw which holds the knife in place.

After months of cajoling, coercing, and just plain threatening OH, the tool arrived yesterday to remove the screw on the Pfaff (apparently there should be one with this machine, but mine was second hand).

I'd found a replacement blade in the toolbox - still sealed in the plastic, so unused, and set to work.

Exactly one minute later, my overlocker was behaving impeccably.  Cutting through fabric, and leaving a lovely neat seam behind.  I'm now going to order some twill  :)

Happy lady today!  :D

Jessie

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 17:43:08 PM »
J,  you andI seem to have some sort of following mechanism, - I had to change the blades on my over locker a couple of weeks back - same reason as you -  chewing up the edges - no new blade ever in 15 year old machine. Couldn't shift old blade - spludged WD40 on it and left overnight then reluctantly it moved. Bliss and all happy again!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 21:56:05 PM »
Coming back to this topic - am having chewing problems again  - new blades or old blades or  ANY blades don't like scuba fabric - that's a shame cos I've got some waistcoats and skirts to make.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
Possibly the only good thing about scuba knit is that you don't need to finish the seams.