The Sewing Place

Spray paint on tutu net

Heikedog

Spray paint on tutu net
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
I need to color a few inches on the bottom of a small amount of tutu net. A muted edge is desirable, not a straight line. Can I use some kind of spray paint to accomplish this task, or is this a really dumb idea and I should bite the dip-dye bullet?

Thanks.

Thecostumelady

Re: Spray paint on tutu net
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 19:28:51 PM »
I shall be watching this thread with interest as I too have been asked a couple of times for a different coloured edge to the tutu skirt.  Up to now I have got away with adding a few inches of the required colour underneath the outer edge of one of the top layers.  I would really like to have a go at spray painting but haven't as yet had the courage to have a go. But what kind of paint?  Floristry is ringing bells somewhere in my head, but I don't know why!  -<  Ann x

elephun

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 00:06:26 AM »
My husband painted a cotton skirt front for me once using latex spray paints. It looked great, but smelled bad. The smell never went away after two weeks, so I ditched the project. I was sad to have to dump that project at that point because a lot of work had gone into it and it was fun working on a project with my husband, but it was nothing compared to the work of a tutu. So, if you are going to try it, please test it out on some spare netting before applying it to an expensive garment.

I haven't ever used floral spray paint for anything myself, but that sounds like a good thing to experiment with.

Colored hair spray would be an option to try out that should wash away.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »

Heikedog

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 13:31:21 PM »
Thanks for the link, but I'm looking to avoid the mess of dying for the small amount I need to do. I guess I'll just experiment with some spray paints and scraps of net and see what happens.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 20:29:38 PM »
RIT liquid dye is good for dyeing nylon net, not sure about polyester net. You can spray net using car spray paint, Plastikote, or Rustoleum paints.  If dyeing, look at the RIT website where they have formulae for 500+ colours. Some colours work better than others, pinks are fine, Teal was OK but I found getting a good Royal blue a bit difficult.

It's actually a lot of fun experimenting
Was Sewnanny

Yellowfeather

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
Dip dyeing is fairly easy, but can be difficult to control the end effect.  You can buy spray paint from florists, which doesn't leave the really horrible smell, or I use an airbrush, which you can use fabric inks in, and that leave no smell, and really easy to get the effect you want.

CarolC

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 19:24:54 PM »
I've never tried it, but I have a book  that recommends Jacquard Dye-na-Flo for painting fabrics, which you can get on Amazon. I had a bit of a google, and  you also use a "fabric medium" with just about any acrylic paint to make it suitable for fabric. I think you can also use an airbrush gun and googling that with tutu net gave me this http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/airbrush-net-for-tutus.10947/  They suggest doing the heat setting in the tumble dryer. Will be interested to see how you get on as I've been meaning to try the airbrushing thing for a while now.

Heikedog

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 04:40:55 AM »
Thanks!  Airbrushing seems like a lot of work, but the results are beautiful!