The Sewing Place

Sampler Quilts

Lowena

Sampler Quilts
« on: August 12, 2017, 19:06:05 PM »
Has anyone made a sampler quilt? Is it easy? Is it interesting to construct?
Has anyone made a Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt? Been looking at them on t'internet and quite fancy the idea  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

Re: Sampler Quilts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 19:39:54 PM »
Well the FPP and FMQ blocks I'll be doing as MMBOMs * I'm going to be making into sampler quilts. I keep meaning to make samplers but get all caught up with fanciful ideas and run with those instead!

Quite easy to do in theory, you just select your blocks, a colour scheme if you want one, and then make all of the blocks and mess around with the layout. Make multiple blocks of favourites or ones which can be multiplied into different designs (flowers into stars etc).

The FPP I'm doing blocks that are really varied so it will make a nice sampler quilt and I want to do a mariners star as a big centerpiece, but I'll work everyone up to that slowly as it's a very complex large block!

I have a book of sampler quilts that I could photocopy bits of for you if you like? Pretty sure it's OOP, so happy to copy bits for you.

* Mid Month Block of the Month .... Edited by Imi ... Starting 16th August!!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 22:39:59 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 19:47:40 PM »
Thanks Syrinx, I'll look forward to your blocks  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 19:58:31 PM »
I've got this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Sampler-Quilt-Book/dp/0715336134/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VMCKSDJWR76BYD3ACN5T
I love looking at it and keep promising myself that I'll have a go but life (and TSP the dark side) keep getting in the way.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 20:07:40 PM »
On my to-do list as well.  I have this book - at least I think it's that one, I'm feeling too lazy to go upstairs and check.

At the moment I have a lot of different FQs to use, and I think I'd need a consistent colour scheme for a sampler quilt, so I'm going to try very hard to use up some fabric before buying more.  No, really.  I'm going to try very, very hard.   :P  Seriously.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 20:17:44 PM »
I have this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0715336134/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FCWKNDXM1SZDWGKDPDPM and have made 15 of the blocks so far.

I suppose eventually I will make it into a quilt. I've enjoyed making the blocks though. I started it when I first got into P&Q.
Procrastination get behind me

fajita

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 21:07:05 PM »
I made this a little while ago. It was before I knew it was too hard and I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up satin stitching a lot of bits

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 00:43:48 AM »
When I started P&Qing I did an evening course and we did a sampler quilt. We started with a rail fence and moved onto tumbling blocks and a Dresden plate block. There was an appliquéd block and some FPP.  The best bit was we squared up the blocks with varying sizes of sashing so there was not too much pressure to get the block size exact.

The instructor was a bit wishy washy and my fabric choice was not good, but I love that quilt.

When I look at it I cringe to see missed points and wonky seams but I really enjoyed making it.

I have the book the course was based on and it is interesting to see how the different fabric choices totally altered the look of the quilts.

supergran

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 17:37:17 PM »
What's a Farmers Wife sampler quilt Low? How is it different from any other kind?  :[

Deafoldbat

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 19:53:32 PM »

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 20:09:34 PM »
 As a Farmers Wife... Although I always state that I'm the "Wife of a Farmer".. I sew rather than drive tractors I was interested to see what a "Farmers Wife" quilt was and  may have to have a go...  so it will go on the list of things to do when I have time and the book will go on the Christmas list  :ninja:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

supergran

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 20:55:35 PM »
Thanks for that DOB. I think I prefer the more modern looking ones myself, although it may just be the rather dull colours and small blocks in the farmers wife ones that put me off.

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 21:44:56 PM »
Looking at these it depends what fabrics you use..https://www.flickr.com/groups/1678802@N20/discuss/72157629890035371/
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Maximum

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 22:01:48 PM »
I did a beginners course which was a sampler quilt. Each session we made or started 2 blocks and were given extra info to make 2 more if we wanted a larger quilt. Most of us chose a FQ bundle plus extra fabric but every quilt looked so different but they were all essentially the same. I found it interesting and a good way to learn different techniques. Some blocks I hated but I only needed to do one so no real hardship. Reminds me that I need to finish quilting and bind it!