The Sewing Place

Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!

arrow

Re: Show and tell time - lets see some oldies!
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2017, 15:12:22 PM »
Very nice collection.

...and the 275/85 has a problem with reverse stitching as in it is not adjustable...

Are you sure the 275 has adjustable reverse stitching? I thought it was much like the later 99k, and 187 which has backtack, and is more of a fixed reverse stitch length. As you know, the levers on the 201 and later 15 has a stich length adjustment alowing it to be set exactly the same forward and reverse, the others are simpler mechanically.

Barnyard

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2017, 19:27:55 PM »
arrow you may well be correct. This one of the few vintage singer machines I know little about. Other than the obvious adjustments these machines were a totally different design to the 99 as in they used a rack and pinion (noisy) design in a replacement for the geared versions. The part that adjusts the stitch length and reverse is attached to the rack with 2 set screws and is a block with a centre groove for a bearing raiser that adjusts stitch length. I had no idea they were meant to be this way as shimming the part at the rear acually offers adjustment in reverse. I will try to make a video of the assembly tomorrow and the forward / reverse stitch and post a link here. It may well be that I have been sitting here waiting for a part that doesn't actually need replacing. I was surprised as the machine itself looks totally unused as in never used and other than a lube there was no lint nor any sign of usage. Thanks arrow!

Barny

Barnyard

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2017, 19:39:49 PM »
Hi B15erk. Good to hear you removed those confounded capacitors. Just out of curiosity when was the machine last serviced? I only ask as there are several areas that could produce a smell if they are left dirty or dry or if the motor / pedal is running hot. Plug it back in and try to isolate where the smell is eminating from and I should be able to pinpoint it and help you sort it. If push comes to shove I can send you my spare motor (if that is where the problem is) and you send me yours for a stripdown, clean and rebuild. One way or another we will get you sorted and happily using it again.

Barny

b15erk

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
Barnyard, what a kind offer!  I may yet take you up on it :)

As far as I know, the FW hasn't been serviced for a long time.  When I got it, it was filthy, so I stripped down what I could and gave it a good clean and plenty of oil - it was very dry.

I tried to run it after taking the capacitors off yesterday, but thought I must have done a really bad thing as I couldn't get a stitch out of it.  Then I remembered that you needed to replace the bobbin cover in order to make a stitch!!  ;)

It's purring along beautifully now, although the tension is a bit out, and there is still a smell coming from the motor, although no heat coming from it (I was only able to run it for a couple of minutes though).

Pics later.

Jessie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:06:25 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
Electrical motors can have a "burn off" period, but it's not really suppose to be like that. I think the explanation is dust and grime gathering over the decades around the copper parts generating the electricity. Motors aren't sealed off, they need the ventilation. Another thing is wrong lubricant, if oil seeps along the motor axle; it's suppose to stay at each end of it. You can take a chance on having a single (!) drop of oil down the grease ports; the wicks are often clogged up by dried up gease, and it will not overflow the motor. The correct thing to do is of course open the motor, clean and regrease and it will be mooth and non-smelly.

New carbon brushes can be a bit noisy, apparently even make sparkles until they are run in. If you can make a curve at the end of them exactly the same as on the motor part, it will prevent an run-in roughness.

b15erk

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
arrow, I should probably open the motor, but I'm just not confident enough.  I'm always afraid that I will make matters worse - or start a fire!

I managed to undo the footpedal and remove the capacitors - mainly because I didn't have another foot pedal which fit the connectors on the Featherweight. 

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Barnyard

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
arrow. After a little digging it turns out you are indeed correct. Silly me, all this time sitting here with a totally mint machine thinking it had a fault.  :o

Anyone looking for a mint, fully serviced 275k lol  :P

Barny