The Sewing Place

Dani legge tutu pattern

Georgie

Dani legge tutu pattern
« on: March 04, 2017, 22:29:20 PM »
Ok, I'm feeling confident on the bodice, how about the netting, is it really hard to do, any top tips?
Aka Trickybottom

Lollipop

Re: Dani legge tutu pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 23:25:33 PM »
Hi Georgie, no it's really quite easy as you leave the crotch seam open and sew the frills around the "tube". Can get a bit of a squeeze but I really like doing them. Its a bit different but fun.
Was Sewnanny

Oakmaiden

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
Having just made my first one - I left the crotch seam open as advised, but I also didn't sew the leg elastic on, because obviously it normally goes on after you have closed the crotch.  It was an enormous pain to sew on afterwards though, so next time I am going to try elasticing the legs first.  I suspect this is what you are supposed to do, but I am a bit anxious about it as I find it hard in Dani's pattern to get the crotch to meet up evenly - one flap is always wider than the other...

Seam Stress(ed)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
Oakmaiden - rather than sewing the elastic on first or last, how about creating a casing, either by turning up a hem and topstitching, using a lycra strip as a bias, or if you line your pants, sewing lining and fabric together wrong sides together, turning right way out and topstitching about 3/8 away from the edge to form a casing.  Sew your net on and then thread elastic through the casing and close your crotch seam.

Daisy Jane

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Oakmaiden,  I feel your pain on elastic and lycra...I have in the past forgotton for some silly reason not to do my elastics. I use the method Stephanie has suggested by turning my lycra inside out to create a channel.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Georgie

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 21:26:50 PM »
Thank you, I've initially  made the bodice just from cheap Lycra and all went well! Been looking at healthcoats and tutus and textiles at net, know what I need to get there, got some nice Lycra all ready, just got to get up the nerve to have a go!
Aka Trickybottom