The Sewing Place

Anyone made a Hot Air Balloon?

b15erk

Anyone made a Hot Air Balloon?
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
I'd just finished my post about Strip piecing, when a message came through from DD about a Hot Air Balloon mobile for above Theo's cot.

Not sure if this comes under the dark side spec, but I don't know where else it would go....

This is the kind of thing: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hot+air+balloon+mobiles+cribs&safe=active&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtlIau_N3VAhVkLMAKHR5rBQkQ_AUICygC&biw=1003&bih=731

Any idea where I would begin?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: Anyone made a Hot Air Balloon?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Here is a freebie pattern
http://www.prettyprudent.com/2012/08/baby-kid/diy-hot-air-balloon-mobile-free-pattern/

However, I wouldn't choose felt for a baby toy; if he gets it into his mouth bits of felt could come off.  P&Q weight craft cotton fabric would be a better choice.  Also I wouldn't use an embroidery hoop with a screw that could come undone.  Just use the inner ring or a plain lampshade ring.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 15:42:10 PM »
I made a mobile of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs for my daughter when she was born.

It was a gruesome mobile as they were headless (or rather just heads) I used polystyrene balls, painted them pink and then added felt hats (for the boys) and yarn hair and painted their faces. Somehow Doc even had glasses (Can't remember how I did that now).

I made all this when I was just 18 years old and broker than a broke thing on national broke day!

Long gone and no pics :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 21:46:08 PM »
I don't have pics, but I did make one out of papier mache, but used fabric instead of paper. You blow the balloon up to make the form, paint it with pva glue, cover with fabric bits, and repeat til finished. Poke a few holes in the edge, feed through some wool and attach a paper cup as a basket.
I'm sure you can adapt as necessary.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Did you manage the hot air balloon mobile Jessie ?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
I tried Lowena, I tried....

Tbh, it looked more like a multi coloured pumpkin!  (Now in use as a spare pincushion)

I was relieved to get sidetracked by Baby Nests!  Just waiting for pics of Baby Nest number 2, from DD as I forgot to take them.  This is far superior to model 1 as it unpops for washing.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
Wow, well done you :) Looking forward to photo :)
Shame about the pumpkin  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D