The Sewing Place

"Hexactly" quilt...almost finished

rubywishes

"Hexactly" quilt...almost finished
« on: March 04, 2017, 23:13:12 PM »
 Almost got this quilt finished. I decided to straight line quilt it to accentuate the columns, the open empty spaces and the hexagons, and also to try to divert the eye from the 3 different coloured whites I ended up having to use. I know, I know, lesson learnt there big time.....make sure you have enough blooming fabric before you start a project!

So today I've got about an hour of quilting left and then I just have to square it up and do the binding. I've got a nice strong purple for the binding which I think will look good. Not sure what I am going to do with this one once it is finished.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: "Hexactly" quilt...almost finished
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
Oh that's beautiful !!!

I hate the squaring up bit of a quilt, mostly because I don't have enough space to lie it out correctly!  :(

If you don't know what to do with it, you could always send it over to Deepest Darkest, Dorset ??!! :D

Congratulation Honey.....Splendid job!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
It is very nice indeed. What's on the back?

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »
That is lovely. I've yet to make one where the quilting is really a feature. I do love trying out free motion quilting, but it takes such a lot of practice to be perfect :P. Whoever gets yours will be very lucky. I'm sure they'll love it!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
Of course I will... :devil:

Who wouldn't???

maliw

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Oooh I like that, I hate the quilting bit, it seems to take forever.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
It is very nice indeed. What's on the back?

A most disappointing white on white fabric. I accidentally purchased the wrong fabric (picked up the wrong bolt after an eon of indecision at the store) and didn't realise until I'd gotten home. Couldn't see myself ever wanting to use it so as it cost close to $65 AUS I wasn't about to stuff it in a cupboard and not use it. It's not hideous or anything, it's just weird  feeling and the machine didn't like it either...blunted the blooming heck out of my needles. It's only saving grace is that it is white.....bland, neutral white.....and now I'm moving on...honest I am....no emotional scarring here, or wincing every time I look at the back of the quilt.....honest...I'm just fine....sob :'(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Oh Baby...ssssshhhh!!

Applique a couple of Hexagons randomly on the back and it will be alright hon...promise!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
It looks lovely Ruby, you don't ever have to turn it over  ;)
I never square up a quilt.....how do you do it?.....why would you do it? Mine always look ok  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
I never square up a quilt.....how do you do it?.....why would you do it? Mine always look ok  -<

I square up my quilts because the OCD in me won't let me "not"! That's not to say that all my quilts end up being perfectly square...they just end up "as square as I can get them!".  0_0  0_0   I aim to have the 2 diagonal measurements equal and then take measurements through the top, the middle and the bottom of the length, and then the width. Hopefully all 3 measurements are within about 2cm of each other. Now that's not square, but it's "square enough" for me. For some reason though with this quilt, with all the heavy quilting I did and my not so deft handling of it, I somehow have a discrepancy of 2cm in my length measurement from one side to the other. I'm scratching my head a bit because my diagonals are spot on so I'm not sure what the heck has happened and I daren't start chopping into it 'cause it will stuff up my equal diagonals so....with a glass of red in my hand and looking at the quilt through slightly grubby spectacles it doesn't look wonky so it's staying "as is". Lovely dark purple binding is made and will get stitched on at the end of the working week.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:56:53 AM by rubywishes »

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »
Applique

Surely you jest......me...applique? yep and after that I'll perform brain surgery!  :devil: I couldn't do applique if my life depended on it!

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 22:39:33 PM »
Bet you can - you're first challenge is to applique a label to the back .!   :thread:  Looks like a lovely  quilt!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »
Bet you can - you're first challenge is to applique a label to the back .!   :thread:  Looks like a lovely  quilt!

Nah, not going to happen  :D   LOL Label? I'm meant to label my quilts? Oh dear....oops :|

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
I never label my quilts.... despite a gentle slap from Iminei when she came over to see me  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 20:18:45 PM »
I've never labelled one either, but then, I've got no one to give me a slap, gentle or otherwise.  0_0