The Sewing Place

"Hexactly" quilt...almost finished

shadykittykat

Re: "Hexactly" quilt...almost finished
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 22:01:34 PM »
You don't label your quilts!!! The quilt police haven't been round yet? You've all been very lucky. So lucky!

The quilt police would have more than unlabled quilts to be round for, I think I'd send them to an early grave  0_0

Kate
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

rubywishes

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
Oh my, oh my, you won't believe what I have just spent the last 2.5 hours doing? I attached my beautiful deep purple binding to Hexactly this afternoon and was just about to throw it into the washing machine for its virgin wash when...........Oh no, I hate the purple...it takes the eyes away from the Hexagons and puts a fence around my endless white columns...blah, yeuk, crisis and lots of mutterings and bad words. So I left it on the floor for the day...kept peeking at it but no, it still looked wrong. So 2.5 hours, and one rather large glass of red later I've got the binding all off.

I have a headache and I need a cup of tea...badly.   :'(  But..... I have a day off tomorrow so white binding will be going on and all will be well in my world again.  8) Oh....do I have enough white in my stash? Wait, yes of course I do, surely I do (....breaking out in a cold sweat here, someone tell me I do please).  I think I do......I will have to go and have a rummage after the cup of tea. Oh dear......
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:47:08 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
For a moment I thought you were going to say the purple dye ran. Phew!

Bindings are like that. I had a long discussion with a friend last week about a little wall hanging we've made for a show (to keep up the numbers and give other people something to criticise). She had wanted to put a on dark blue binding, but decided it looked 'wrong' (fortunately before she put it on) and it took us quite a while to audition and agree on one that was 'right'. It's like framing a picture - you need a frame but you don't want it to dominate the picture. You just settle down quietly tomorrow and put the white on. It will look better and you can look at it without wincing ever after.

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
Poor you Ruby!
Least you're getting lots of binding practice!

and I'm so with you in the ... Surely I've got some more of/enough of this fabric somewhere in my voluminous stash!!

Well you know I am...
How many times has the cry gone up...Does anyone have/know of where I can get some of this????
Its only 10 years old, I can't believe its not in stock anymore (really, you bought it in the sale!!!)

Also Rubes, re different whites...When I started Pink I was using from my stash and naturally and of course that was soon used up so there are certainly two different whites in my latest creation! (and it shows, to me at least! (rolleyes smilie)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
I'm sure it'll look lovely and be worth all the effort Ruby.
You wash quilts?? That's in the same category as making labels in Lowenaworld  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
Sometimes the frame is so important..DD screen prints and has just done an exhibition she ordered 20 cream mounts for the prints .. + one dark grey one for me for a print I wanted to frame ... they arrived and she tried her cream.. totally different from the sample she had ordered from ..tried mine and it looked fabulous so she emailed the company and the replaced them with the dark grey at no cost to herself... sometimes problems work for you :D

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
You wash quilts ???That's in the same category as making labels in Lowenaworld

hahahaahaa...but what if your toddler/cat/dogs barfs on it, eh Low, what then???

Thankfully I can report both Wren's 'Spring has Sprung' https://goo.gl/photos/uFqdaXxFpT61sp1Q9           
and Reuben's 'Treasure Map' https://goo.gl/photos/fgJnqpQTbtPAHu156 have been washed (and more than once) and have come out beautifully!!!

Do I get a gold star???
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:46:12 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
Deffo! and a gold thimble to go with it  :D
I would be too scared to wash anything I'd made in case it fell apart.... but.....if others washed their gifts I hope they'd be polite enough not to mention any mishaps  :D

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »
At present I'm  (well not right now, cos we are decorating the kitchen and bathroom) but I was QAYG'ing Pink.
I've got two halves done and am ready (when I next get a sewing day) to join the last long seam.

Instead of hand-stitching the back joining strip down I'm blanket stitching it (with the machine)

I'm planning on BS'ing the binding down too (like I did on the Skandi)

so it will be super strong!

Ooooh! Look at the ubiquitous stray thread on the Horsey detail! ... and the wonky stitch around the heart!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 14:05:26 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
Great idea.........if only I could work out a definitive way of making sure my Blanket stitch end up where I want / need it to  >:)

shadykittykat

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 13:08:52 PM »
Deffo! and a gold thimble to go with it  :D
I would be too scared to wash anything I'd made in case it fell apart.... but.....if others washed their gifts I hope they'd be polite enough not to mention any mishaps  :D

If the quilts I have made can stand up to be dragged outside for picnics, used for gymnastics on the grass, been weed on (not by me  0_0) and sicked up on (also not me) and chucked in the was repeatedly, I'm sure yours would be just grand in the wash!

Kate
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

rubywishes

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »
It's done, well threads are yet to be darned in and virgin wash to happen but that won't be till next week when we've got some more hot weather on the way. It looks totally different with the white binding. :) :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 07:21:51 AM »
threads are yet to be darned in

What that then ???????

Its stunning Rubes, absolutely stunning!

and the white binding is, for me at least, a really unusual and striking touch!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:23:41 AM by Iminei »

b15erk

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
That is really lovely!!  You should be very proud of it.

It really deserves a beautiful lable Rubes....

(hides behind the sofa):)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 15:38:31 PM »
This thread is sewing forum at it's best. Lots of gorgeous quilts to look at. Lots of friendly banter. Lots of advice /good ideas/encouragement.  It's so interesting to find out what other people regard as necessary or not and to see that the quilt police don't get the final say on everything!

<3 Rubywishes I ADORE your quilt!  <3

In the time it took you to put on a binding, decide against it and sew on a new one I only managed to sew two foundation pieced animals from The Quiters Ark by Margaret Rolfe a compatriot of yours. Foundation piecing is not my favourite activity but needs must when you decide to make, what you'd originally planned as a wall hanging and started years ago from fabrics bought off e-bay, into a quillow. If I ever finish it I'll certainly post pics .... I'll be so proud to actually finish something but most of my projects stall at the quilting stage (sigh)