The Sewing Place

More Bootstrap Bafflement...

Acorn

More Bootstrap Bafflement...
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
I am 5'6", which I understand to be pretty much the height most patterns are designed for.  Bootstrap patterns are customised to my measurements anyway, with a very clearly stated height of 5'6".  I am pretty much balanced in terms of leg length and torso length.

So did I have to take 7 inches off a skirt made from a Bootstrap pattern (not a simple task as it was a mermaid skirt and shaped all the way down), and 6 inches off the cropped trousers that I made a few weeks ago?

I haven't had any problems with their patterns for tops, although as I like my tops quite long this may just not be apparent.

Am I missing something?  Have other people had this problem?  I thought about fiddling the measurements, but really - if a skirt is 7 inches too long, how much would I have to take off my height to get a skirt the right length?!?

The skirt pattern is this one - described as 'knee length' and shown as being a little longer than calf length.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

Re: More Bootstrap Bafflement...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
I think it's the "knee-length" description which is wrong as the diagram clearly shows it at mid-calf level.  Take 7" off the bottom and it would be at the knee; just about where it starts to flare out.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
Mine is mid calf length, though, with the 7 inches taken out.  It would have been literally on the floor made to the pattern.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
 :S

Check carefully the measurements you gave them.  If you are sure you ordered correctly I think that a polite query would be in order.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
I think you're right.   :(

I've just checked the order as I placed it, and it definitely says 'height: 5'6"', and, what's more, in the fit adjustments I said I had short legs!  I don't, but presumably I was remembering the length of the cropped trousers.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 14:27:13 PM »
Her knees are in a funny place in the diagram! :S