The Sewing Place

Newbie from York

Moodymum

Newbie from York
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »
Hi everyone, really glad to have found this site.  I used to do a lot of sewing when I was younger, but family and work took over. Now starting to wind down and looking forward to retiring in a couple of years and can't wait to start sewing again. I'm particularly interested in sewing some beautiful one off items for myself.

Ploshkin

Re: Newbie from York
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Welcome, join us for a  :drink:  There are many of us here who, like you, have returned to sewing after a long break.  You may be surprised at how much has changed in the intervening years (unfortunately not all for the good - fabric shops have all but disappeared).
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum - and I second all that Ploshkin wrote, lots of people who have returned to sewing after a break, and fabric shops in some areas are now rarer than hens' teeth.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
Don't forget to pop over to "The Dark Side  :devil:" too, we're very friendly   :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
Waving from just up the road.

We appear to have just lost our best fabric shop in the area, sorry I obviously didn't spend enough  :'(, but I tried, I really tried.  At least we are near the various West Yorks emporia.

I came back to sewing about 5 years ago and have learned so much, especially from the wonderful people on here.

Welcome Mm, you'll enjoy it here, but we are very good at persuading you to spend money  :ninja:

maliw

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Hello and welcome from a Yorkshire exile, I love the city of York but haven't been for a few years. Enjoy your retirement when it comes -what's that ? I'm busier than ever but doing things I want to do. Nobody will have anything the same as you if you make your own garments, that's the beauty of sewing and the fit will be better that shop bought. Enjoy the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Moodymum

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 15:02:19 PM »
Many thanks for the lovely welcome, really looking forward to hearing about what you're all making. I agree, I could cry when you realise how many fabric shops have now gone. We used to live in the Middle East in the 70's and 80's and there every other shop sold fabric and boy it was lovely. Shame I didn't appreciate it more at the time. Looking forward to looking online and getting my "stash" ready for when I need it.x

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 15:23:49 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 16:51:50 PM »
Welcome to the Forum from someone who selfishly only used to sew for ME.  0_0 

There are still plenty of fabric shops in London where I live as there a number of areas with a high immigrant population who tend to make their own clothes.