The Sewing Place

Rotary cutters

Sewingsue

Rotary cutters
« on: August 20, 2017, 14:20:58 PM »
Ladies, could I ask how often you replace the blade in your rotary cutter?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Jo

Re: Rotary cutters
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 15:17:05 PM »
My general rule is: when it no longer cuts properly  :D I know that's of no help, but when I can no longer get a clean cut with one pass, I'll usually change it. It really depends on what I cut or if I happen to go over some paper.
If I cut some really iffy fabric (chiffon for example) I always change the blade. Better safe than sorry.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 15:32:44 PM »
I've been getting a tad frustrated with mine as it's had two blades in two weeks and it's no better. So I dug out my 'old' one I no longer use, and it cuts like a dream. For my new one I'm thinking maybe the blades, even though they say size 45, might not be interchangeable between brands.

When I'm in the mood, I'll swap the new blades into my old cutter and see if they work any better. I hope they do, one of them is titanium and cost a mortgage.

twopence

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 15:36:04 PM »
I saw a tip recently that you can sharpen them by running them over folded foil and shredding it.  There was also a warning to then be very careful as the shards of foil are lethal.  I've not tried it yet but mean to with my old cutter and deal with the shredded foil with thick gardening gloves.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 16:45:32 PM »
Every time I begin a new project, same as the sewing machine needle  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 18:00:42 PM »
Thank you.
As with so many things it's obvious when you think about it.
How much do you spend on fabric etc? How much did your machine cost?
Change your needle regularly, change your cutter blade likewise.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:12 AM »
Not often enough unfortunately and I noticed it yesterday.

Maybe I'll treat my cutters and myself to new blades when normal service is resumed (ie back sewing) in September! (Maybe I'll treat The Splurge to a new needle too!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
Changes blade on rotary cutter

Uses rotary cutter

Wanders off looking embarrassed and muttering about people who shouldn't be allowed out without a minder  :|

fajita

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
How much blood?

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
How much blood?
That I haven't done (yet).

Give me time though.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 13:33:15 PM »
I have ... twice !

First time in the Spring last year; I purposefully and firmly put the RC blade on the 24 x 6 ruler and sliced straight through my thumb and nail ...

Cue trip to our local minor injuries unit to see the delightful Dennie whose mission in life is not to send anyone to the big A&E's in the metropolises (Poole, Bournemouth, Dorchester or Salisbury)

The last time was earlier this year; this time not in any wanton way I just slipped and caught my first finger (forefinger ??) and again the nail .... Back to the lovely Dennie at our local minor injuries unit.

Doesn't hurt til after, the throbbing can be intense!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 15:25:50 PM »
I've done it  :'( I'm on blood thinning medication so it was a right palava....the mess was immense  :D Blimey does it throb  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 18:07:49 PM »
I've done it.
Why does it bleed so much? The cut was tiny and the worktop looked like there'd been a massacre!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!