The Sewing Place

What do you do with your unwanted handmade clothes?

Amy

What do you do with your unwanted handmade clothes?
« on: August 20, 2017, 14:55:26 PM »
I'm curious what other people do with clothes they've made they no longer want. I've definitely got a few items I spent ages making that I don't wear anymore either because my style has changed (or it never suited me anyway!) or I'm having a clear out, but I can't bring myself to just giving them away or recycling. Especially things I've spent a lot of time or money on. But when I think about selling these things on ebay or similar I don't feel it's the right place either - so many clothes just getting auctioned off for 99p!

So what do you do with the handmade clothes you no longer want? Do you feel the need to recoup any costs? If so, where do you sell them?

(Sorry if this isn't the right board... happy to move/repost)

Surest1tch

Re: What do you do with your unwanted handmade clothes?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 15:30:42 PM »
I take them to the charity shops because I can't be bothered with the hassle of selling them.  If they sell them great it brings money in for the children if not they recycle the fabrics.

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 16:09:08 PM »
I have a friend who has about the same height/size/proportion I have. She is very happy when I call her about picking up some clothes I don't want or need anymore, and usually 'pays' with a bottle or two of bubbly - which we drink on the spot   :D
Great fun....

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 16:39:25 PM »
I take all mine to charity.  I never consider the time and cost that went into making it, just the disappointment that it didn't turn out as I hoped or inexplicably shrunk (read I got fat).  0_0  In any event, my sewing was only good enough for me and I wouldn't dream of trying to sell anything.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
That's weird, but the message has come through.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
I take them to the charity shops because I can't be bothered with the hassle of selling them.  If they sell them great it brings money in for the children if not they recycle the fabrics.

Same here....

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 22:00:51 PM »
Civil clothes go to the charity shop, I do sell my flamenco dresses  however. New ones go for 300£ up so it's always worth a few quid there and they are made with care from the start!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 18:42:23 PM »
Charity shop, but i always pin a note on the garment to say what size (equivalent rtw size) and washing instruction.  Plus i take all my scraps when i have a sackful as the charity shop can sell them on to a rag merchant.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 19:38:38 PM »

Anything that's still decent and wearable I donate to a charity shop or pass them on to anyone who wants them.
[/size]I've had the value, pleasure and benefit out of them meant for me - (choosing fabric, making, wearing and sometimes learning etc).  If the money spent on the fabric and notions was £20 or  £250, that was the money price of the pleasure and benefit I got from them.  (Even when the only benefit I got was the pleasure from choosing the fabric and making it up but never wore it for whatever reason).
When it's time for them to leave my wardrobe, there is nothing left in them for me except clutter value.[/font]
[/size]It's time for these lovely, well made, unique items to give whatever benefit and pleasure is left in them to the next person.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Anything that isn't decent enough to wear, I donate to the Charity shop rag-bag to help make up the weight - better than chucking it in my bin.
[/size]

Oh dear - something's gone wrong with the message coding.

You've probably done a bit of editing and  inadvertantly taken out some coding.  Every bit of code bracket-code-bracket needs to be finished with bracket-slash-code-bracket.  There are several instances there of bracket-slash-size-bracket without the preceding bracket-size-bracket.

But as UR said the message came through OK which is what really matters.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tiggy

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »
I didn't know charity shops would accept leftovers and off cuts.  That's a solution!  Thank you.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 17:26:18 PM »
I didn't know charity shops would accept leftovers and off cuts.  That's a solution!  Thank you.

I use either the Salvation Army near me or give The British Heart Foundation a ring and they will come and collect from you.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet