The Sewing Place

How to reduce image sizes before posting

Francesca

How to reduce image sizes before posting
« on: February 27, 2017, 14:29:50 PM »
When pictures come off your camera or phone, they're often really huge! Far bigger than needed to upload onto the forum. It helps us save on costs if you can reduce your pictures before posting or adding them to the gallery.

There are loads of ways to do this, but here's a tutorial for one option:

1. Visit Pixlr Express - a free online image editing software

2. Choose 'Browse'

3. Find the picture file on your computer

4. Choose Adjustment > Resize. Choose new dimensions, make sure the "keep proportions" box is selected so your image doesn't go squiffy! We recommend a maximum width of 500px, it should be big enough for most images to be seen clearly.

5. Choose "Apply". Then "Save" in the top left.

6. Rename your file if you wish, adjust the quality, then save to your computer for upload to TSP :)

maliw

Re: How to reduce image sizes before posting
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 16:32:12 PM »
Thanks for this Fran, I've had trouble ever since I changed my camera a few years ago.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Swisslass

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 18:10:32 PM »
It doesn't work on an iPad  :[ I downloaded the app and wondered where the browse function was.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 18:24:11 PM »
It doesn't work on an iPad  :[ I downloaded the app and wondered where the browse function was.

I'm sure you can find a similar piece of software that can be downloaded in app form.

Swisslass

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 19:19:35 PM »
Can you (or anyone) give me a clue?  ;)

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 20:46:05 PM »
Can you (or anyone) give me a clue?  ;)

I don't have an iPad but here is an example of how to do it on an iPhone, I wonder if iPads have the same software: http://www.imore.com/how-resize-photos-your-iphone-or-ipad-no-computer-needed

Swisslass

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 21:14:45 PM »
I'm sorry Fran - You are dealing with a right dinosaur here!

- the link tells me how to crop a photo (i.e. Only show part of the photo) but I think you would like me to reduce the (???) size of the photo so it doesn't use up as much space.

Give me another clue - I have an iPhone and iPad

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 21:31:49 PM »
@Swisslass: you can get a version of Pixlr for iOS on iTunes.

Swisslass

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:20:18 AM »
Aha - cracked it, thanks!

NeilM

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 16:56:21 PM »
GIMP is also an excellent free software to download on a regular computer. Lots of tutorials for it on youtube.
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 17:18:11 PM »
Ugh, I found Gimp very frustrating.  So far as I was concerned, it was a large file taking up lots of space and I finally deleted it.  0_0

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 23:26:19 PM »
Might I add that it's very useful to crop photos of 'empty' areas before reducing? There's often unnecessary sections of images - such as the sides of images with a person standing in the middle, whether landscape or portrait. If you do that, when the resulting image is reduced to 500px it will show more detail of the subject than the original image only scaled down.

Your screenshot of Pixlr shows a crop icon.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 22:38:37 PM »
I must be incredibly thick. There is no Lunapic for Android phone. When I view my photo in Google photos I can see it is 3.1Mp but I can see no way to reduce definition and nothing that will allow me to reduce width to 500px. I downloaded Pixlr but when I open the photo in this there is no resize option. Someone asked me to post photos of my Halloween house but I don't want to get into trouble again for my photos being too big. I haven't posted any photos of recent makes for the same reason. I have a Nokia 6.1 running the latest version of Android. Can someone techy please advise?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 22:55:54 PM »
@Lachica I use this app on my Android phone https://apkpure.com/photo-picture-resizer-resize-reduce-batch/com.simplemobilephotoresizer. Just download the app, open it, choose the image you want to resize and change the greatest measurement to 600 or less. Then save. Any problems with it just ask.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 23:07:44 PM »
@Vezelay thanks
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.