The Sewing Place

How to reduce image sizes before posting

UttaRetch

Re: How to reduce image sizes before posting
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
I must be incredibly thick. There is no Lunapic for Android phone.
That's the drawback.  Lunapic works for me as I am a desktop user.  It can be done on a phone, but it is tricky.

@Vezelay, that app looks just the thing and I will give it a try.

Lachica

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 08:25:13 AM »
Unfortunately the apkpure thing just links to loads of ads :'(
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »
@Lachica In Pixlr, the resizing options comes up when you press Save, odd place to put it, but there it is.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
I have just looked at the reviews in google play there is a sizeable number of complaints about the ads.  The developer doesn't seem to be doing anything to address this and even people who have paid for the 'pro version' (no ads) say the still get them.  Not good.

Sorry @Vezelay, I'll be looking for something else.

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
@Lachica I use Snapseed, mainly on my iPad, but there is a version for Android which I have on my phone.

After installing it, the first thing to do is go to Settings (via the three dots in the top right of the screen) and change Image sizing from "do not resize" to "800px". (This change will be remembered for when you next use the app.) 800px is still a little larger than TSP can display but at least the file size will be a lot smaller.

Next you will need to open the photo you want to resize. This is done by tapping the plus sign in the centre of the screen. You might need to navigate to where the photo is stored - this can be done via the three lines in the top left of the screen.

Once the photo is loaded, you can edit it (crop, tune image, etc) using the Tools option at the bottom of the screen. When any changes have been made, use the Export option at the bottom of the screen to create a resized copy of the photo. I use "export" and this saves the new photo to the Snapseed folder, but if you want to choose where the copy is saved use the "export as" option instead.

As I said, I mainly used Snapseed on my iPad, but if you get stuck with the Android version I can try to help.

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
I use Re-Sizeit on my iPad
It’s quick and easy

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »
800px is an excellent size for TSP.   :thumbsup:

I have a Nokia Android phone and I have something called 'Photo and Picture Resizer' installed.  The free version does have adverts, but they are just text ads at the top of the screen and very unobtrusive.  I haven't used it much because I always upload pictures from my laptop*, so I only use it when I'm emailing photos to someone so that I don't clog up their inbox, but it seems quite straightforward.

*I use Dropbox and Onedrive, so pictures taken with my phone are automatically sent to my laptop.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2020, 11:16:55 AM »

@Lachica I just posted the link to show you what the app image looks like. It's called Photo & Picture Resizer and you can download it from Google apps and see what you think. I probably just close any ads that pop up. Can't say they've bothered me at all - maybe I'm immune! Most free apps have ads.

Ps. I see @Acorn's post is re the same app

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »
I find the whole thing so c that I have decided not to post photos anymore
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 13:09:33 PM »
I email photos to myself.  The camera app doesn't always let me choose the size to send.  :headbang:

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 13:36:41 PM »
I use a little free program called Irfanview, in that you can resize very easily and it's  great little program  :)
Willing but not always able :)

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 13:38:30 PM »
Under Windows 10 on a PC, my trick is to open the photo in the default viewer and then use Snipping Tool to snip the bit of the image I'm interested in grabbing.  When saved it's much smaller than the original but perfectly adequate for social media purposes.  My mobile phone is an ancient 2G PAYG Nokia so I can't offer suggestions for smart phones!

sewingj

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 15:20:19 PM »
I`m still very confused about this.  If I want to insert a photo I usually take the photo with my camera, save it to my laptop and then to insert it I click on "Attachments" then "Choose File", then "insert attachment".

If I do this, how do I know if the size of what I am inserting is acceptable?

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 15:40:23 PM »
When the list of your files has come up after you have clicked on 'Browse' (when adding the attachment), right click on the thumbnail of the image, and then choose the 'details' tab in the box that comes up.  This should show you the dimensions of the file. 

The 'General' tab will also show you the size of the file in KB or MB, but all we are asking is that images should not be any larger than they need to be to show up properly on the forum, so the dimensions are more helpful than the size.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 15:42:48 PM »
@sewingj When you go to insert the picture, if you hover the cursor over the file name a box should appear with the details such as type, date taken, dimensions and size. It is the dimension information that is of interest and as a rule of thumb ideally these should be less than 1000px. @Acorn has given more specific details in a post from earlier in the year:
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,9838.0.html