The Sewing Place

Scandi Nest - Update and hints

b15erk

Scandi Nest - Update and hints
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I finished 3 of these at the weekend, two for dollies, and one for Theo, and I decided it would be a good idea to start a thread charting my Scandi Nest journey.  Several reasons for this, firstly, I'll never remember otherwise, and secondly, to swap ideas and best techniques with anyone else who is making one.

I began with some cheap polycotton, and cut out my first one.  I wasn't sure what to expect, so sewed as per instructions on a few websites.  The resulting 'nest' was fine for one of Lilya's dollies, but I wasn't too happy for Theo to sleep in it.  (See pic below) It has ears! 

So started the second toile.  When you draw your toile, you need a nice wide curve at the top, and the channels should be measured so that they are all the same width.  With that in mind I made the second Scandi.  It's a very small one - dolly size, and the shape was a lot better.  What I also did, to speed things up, was to use the join as a channel, instead of using binding - a bit like a french seam, and it worked fine.  So, if you don't want to go the binding/ribbon route, it's worth considering.

The little mattress, I made separately, as I found it easier, and I just did a few rows of stitching to hold in place, and give a 'puffy' look.  I had considered using a proper baby mattress, but there is no need, as this nest will be sitting on a soft surface. 

The other thing I wasn't happy about, was the bottom of the channel, which flops about, so I sorted that out on Theo's proper nest.

I took some tips from looking at different brands of baby nest, and on Theo's nest, I put a hanger loop, and a popper closure, to keep the bottom channels together.

I considered a bag to put the long tape in, but still not sure how it would work, and as these are for very small babies, I'm not sure it's necessary.

I followed two good blogs, and a couple of Youtube videos, and these are listed on my original post about Scandi Nests.

Theo's nest is almost finished, but I have agonised all weekend about batting/wadding and what is suitable for newborns, so it isn't stuffed yet.  I'll start another thread for this, as it has worried me.

Hope these long winded thoughts may help someone else  ;)

Jessie

eta, the white is DD's request,  :o - I added the duck binding!
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

Re: Scandi Nest - Update and hints
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
Clever Grandma  <3 <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 15:23:51 PM »
Thanks Lowena! 

Theo's nest is now finished!

After agonising over wadding and stuffing, it's done.

Don't look too closely, I had a few needle breakages - the wadding on the base was quite thick, and the fabric quite dense, and the needle couldn't cope.

I've done a couple of small sheets too, to save the cover from the worst, but I've also ordered some PUL, from Plush Addict (free postage), so I'll line a couple with this next time. 

All in all I'm very pleased with this project, and how it turned out.  There will be a couple of improvements on the next one though!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 15:26:27 PM »
Lovely. <3 <3
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 15:29:10 PM »
Forgot the small sheets!

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 16:14:35 PM »
I see you sneaked the Nursery fabric in, Jessie  ;) It makes all the difference  <3
Are you teaching him to read his name already, or id your daughter likely to forget who he is??  :D :D

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 16:32:19 PM »
I had to do something Low, she wanted all white, and that's just not do-able!  :S :S

Colour had to come in somewhere!  ;)

His name was to remind us that after all our girlies, we now have a little boy!  :D :D

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 16:52:48 PM »
Good one  <3

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 21:04:45 PM »
Winner! :toast:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
I've managed at last to get some pics of Theo's second nest.  Not very good pics, they were taken quickly while he had his bath.

I've also got pics of a genuine Sleepyhead which a friend of DD passed over to her.  These may be of interest if any of you are thinking of making one.  I like the zippered mattress, but I think the zippered 'bumper' would be too difficult.

If anyone would like measurements, I will add them later.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Couldn't post any more pics on the last post, so here is the final Sleepyhead pic.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
I like yours better.   0_0  It's like a little dinghy.   0_0 0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 09:41:49 AM »
I prefer yours too  <3 You should market them......... oh, wait, you'd have even more VAT returns if you did  :D
Seriously, they seem to buy everything and anything for babies these days ( and for decent amounts of money )  and I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes  :ninja:

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
You girls are too kind.  I have to say, although DD was offered the Sleepyhead, she said no thank you, as she too preferred the 'home made' one.  (I think she's just buttering me up!)

I must admit I was shocked at the prices they fetch!  Well over £100 in some places, and the replacement covers were £48 in John Lewis!

I also made a couple of sheets which are not pictured as they were in the washing machine.

I think number three is looking likely!

Jessie

Jessie

Samantha

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
They all look lovely Jessie  <3