The Sewing Place

New Born Wadding/Batting

b15erk

New Born Wadding/Batting
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
I was really happy to make baby Theo a Scandi Nest when DD suggested it, but when it came to wadding/batting, it's given me a headache.

I've read lots of information, and the main objection to polyester batting seems to be the fire risk.  I was more worried about suffocation if the batting was too dense, or the baby overheating.....

Can anyone tell me exactly what I should be using for this baby nest?  It seems there is no definitive answer on t'internet - or at least not one I have found.

Would you need to lable it up like you do children's clothing?

Or am I over-thinking this?

I'll be making a trip to Dunelm later, and if they can't help, I'm stuck with a Flatpack!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

Re: New Born Wadding/Batting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
How about the stuffing used for soft toys?  If you get a reasonable quality, it should meet all the standards for use with small babies.  I don't think you'd have to label it if you're making a nest for your own baby, probably only if you're selling commercially.

Another approach, ideal for travel purposes, might be to design an inflatable version!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
Just a thought, if you use stuffing, might it move around and clump up when washed? 

arrow

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 13:56:45 PM »
Polyester or acryl isn't in itself listed as problematic, but what might be added to them is; some types of dyes, flame retardants, stain and waterproofing substances,... are worry some enough to stay away from them. Any type of fabric and fiber can be treated with risky substances, and we just have to trust description from factories, and the eco-lable standards given government approval. Cotton wadding looks very much like unbleached cotton to me, it should be on the safe side?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 13:58:41 PM by arrow »

tumblina

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 14:17:49 PM »
On the flip side - in North America polyester is allowed, cotton is not, since cotton will continue to burn if the flame is taken away whereas polyester is self-extinguishing. Mostly I went with "don't have the baby near fire" and didn't worry about it, but everyone has their own tolerances. Unless someone is smoking in the home or use candles, the chance of fire when you don't have eyes on the child is quite remote these days.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 15:16:37 PM »
This subject has totally baffled me, as there is no definitive answer that I can find. 

So, I went to Dunelm to see what they had on offer.  They had Toy Stuffing, but no info re babies, and poly batting by the metre, but no-one around to explain the specification.

Using my common sense (in short supply usually), I went to the pillow dept to see what was on offer.  I found the pillows well labelled up, and worked out quite cheap.

I felt on safe ground as one of the tutorials I looked at, the Swedish lady used pillows for filling.  Lable pic attached, showing all the information I needed.  Yes, the fire hazard is a worry, but DD has no open fires, and Theo will be kept safely away from sources of heat.

All done now, and on to the next one!

Thanks for your input everyone, as usual you keep things balanced.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 15:22:08 PM »
Oh Jessie, that's lovely. Well done you and I bet it cost a lot less than buying one, it looks so cosy. I've never heard of these before, mine had to make do with the old carrycot!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 15:28:07 PM »
Thanks Mal, if you look online, you can get one for £30-40.  The branded ones can be up to £200 - £40 for a sheet!

I'm doing another, because although DD wanted white, I think she may find it - well, not to put too fine a point on it - impractical!

Very easy, once you 'get it', just a few fiddly bit.

It was the wadding which caused me the angst!

Jessie

arrow

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 16:11:29 PM »
This subject has totally baffled me, as there is no definitive answer that I can find. 

I don't think there is a definite answer because what ever fiber you choose there will always be pros and cons, and usually something fit for the purpose in either category. The problem is we often don't have access to all the info we want. You did well though, it looks nice, and I hope it's the best for baby.