The Sewing Place

Well blow me down, I actually did it!

Barnyard

Well blow me down, I actually did it!
« on: August 22, 2017, 21:49:51 PM »
Today I completed a milestone in my sewing. I actually completed the curtains I have been messing with for months. After waking at just after 6AM due to the sun straming through I decided enough was enough and I had to get them done. I had done most of the tabs for them and did them whilst testing and messing with the vintage machines I own. Some of those presser feet are damned fiddly but with practice and perseverance I got all of them finally finished by 8AM. Then came the main body of work, the curtains themselves. These by comparison were so simple, I don't know why I was so worried. The main issue was lack of room and the folds in the hems getting away from me. So some 12 hours later they are now up! Yes it took a long time but the time just flew by. It's way too dark to take a photo now but I shall do in the morning and I sicerely hope it is a lot later than 6AM! They are not perfect, but I am very happy with the end result and the vast majority of the work was done on the 221k. What a simply fabulous little machine these are.

Barny

Tamnymore

Re: Well blow me down, I actually did it!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 22:53:53 PM »
Well done. A nice feeling of achievement and unlike you wearing an item of clothing you have made, your windows will wear your curtains every day!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Curtains (and blinds) can be tedious.  I put them off for as long as possible....

Congratulations on finishing yours BY!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 13:21:33 PM »
well done BY  I make curtains all the time and I know people who are very capable of making their own who ask me to make curtains for them. I think its the volume of fabric which puts them off.. a good size cutting out table is very helpful  :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 18:11:52 PM »
I used to make all my curtains when I was young, first married and poor. I never minded doing it but haven't made any for 40yrs ...... we now don't have any curtains at all in our house, wooden shutters on the inside of the windows ( we have 2' thick walls so windows are recessed ) does the trick :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 20:49:23 PM »
The older front part of my Granny & Grandad's house had 2' thick walls.  I don't remember there not being curtains, but I do remember the windows sills were big enough to have cushions to sit on.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
We have cushions on ours, upstairs and down  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Barnyard

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 18:29:07 PM »
Thank you everyone and apologies for the late reply. Internet issues that still remain and mean frequent dropping mean I get half way through a reply and it goes off again.  :angry:

I did take a couple of pictures but they were just white thread running through cream material, or a wall of cream... not really exciting stuff when I look at the work some of you do!!  They are still hanging which has to be a bonus and I have managed to sleep in twice since putting them up and now need to use an alarm.

I am wondering what to do for my next project and whilst thinking I have been trying to use some of the old Singer feet that I have an abundance of. Really, some of them are GRRR. But I keep trying (and failing) and with more practice I will get them sussed.

Hope you all have a fab Bank Holiday!

Barny