The Sewing Place

Help with Corner cutout on furnishings...

BrendaP

Re: Help with Corner cutout on furnishings...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Aahhh, it's notched to go around a bar or post of some sort.  Once it's done and squashed up against that bar you'll barely see it, especially if there's a cushion in front of it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 15:25:38 PM »
Brenda, that's been the problem.  I just can't get round those small notches neatly.  It looks a mess.  The Sailrite video I watched said it was acceptable to ignore the notches if they were very small, and I've now re-done the back, covering the notches with patches where the fabric has weakened.

With hindsight, I could have used it as a design opportunity, and it certainly doesn't look as pretty as I would like, but heck, it's a story chair.....

Looking at it, I could have done much better, but, it's done now.  The seat cushion is on the machine, ready for me to cover the notches.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
Finished!!  No pics yet as it was too late when I finished last night, and I was tired.

The intention today is to make a cushion cover, to take the eye away from the flaws.  I'll take some pictures when I've set it in place at DD's house tonight.

I made a big deal out of what turned into a rather simple job.  The Sailrite video was really useful, and I picked up some good tips. 

One useful tip I have to pass on.  Don't try to re-join piping when you've cut it too short - life really is too short.  (Ask me how I know)!  Just cut some more!  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.