The Sewing Place

Singer 500a (Rs)

Barcoded

Re: Singer 500a (Rs)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »
Wow, that’s very generous of you.

More importantly would the international funding stretch to Marzipan Walnut bites for everyone?

I shall have to see what I can do and buy the machine.

Thanks again
I think I have joined the 201 club

Roger

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
The 503 is definitely more common, in terms of Cams it’s worth noting that you’ll need a zigzag cam, a multi stitch cam and a blind stitch cam for these utility stitches and they can be trickier to find.

I think the 500 and 503 where both only made in 1 factory.

They both have 1piece of plastic which is the large gear between the hand wheel and the main mechanisms but I’ve never heard of 1 breaking, just don’t oil that part.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
General query. Would the discs for the 600 and 603 machines work in the 500/503? While tidying this evening and wondering where the boxes with the discs are I came across a box with 10 pristine cams for 600/603 machines.  8)

I'm not a vintage machine collector, though I do like them. I just got a few extra doodads for my Rocketeer in recent years after chatting online with people. Oddly enough whenever I would buy something they would tuck in extra stuff. Like a bag full of extra bobbins. A spare foot pedal in excellent condition. That sort of thing.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SkoutSews

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
Just poking my head round the door...

@Renegade Sewist for the 401, the g (Germany) or a (America) indicates the country of manufacture.  That's why the 401g turns up in Europe, where we don't see much of the 401a, and vice-versa.

That's the extent of my knowledge here, so I'll be on my way...

Roger

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 18:24:54 PM »
Hi Renegade,
The black top hat cams yes but the white ones no...
Although some of the later black cams were redesigned and don’t work with the early machines, but I think that was 700 and onwards.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 21:07:16 PM »
Just poking my head round the door...

@Renegade Sewist for the 401, the g (Germany) or a (America) indicates the country of manufacture.  That's why the 401g turns up in Europe, where we don't see much of the 401a, and vice-versa.

That's the extent of my knowledge here, so I'll be on my way...

Thank you!!!

I knew there had to be a reason but in my sporadic, limited sleuthing I hadn't found one.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 21:08:41 PM »
Thanks @Roger . They are black top hat ones. I haven't taken the time to confirm but they appear to be the same, without checking that is.

Barcoded

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 07:02:17 AM »
Hello, a quick update.....

Well it is Christmas after all so I’ve gone and done it. Guess I should have asked the question before buying; it’s a 503 J.  You guessed it, can anyone identify the J?

Well in fact I thought I was being clever, and bought a machine from Canada in the hope the voltage was be correct, but no it’s 110v but the reason for going for this one is that it’s pristine condition and has the original sales receipt. The guy tried very hard not to sell it to me, because of the packaging but we came to an understanding.  Ahem.... postage was more than the machine. Stupidly, going to Canada also means it’s outside of the international postage import thing so I might have a bill for import tax, depending upon how the guy describes the transaction.

Barcoded

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 07:07:50 AM »
Incidentally, Helen Howes was not impressed that I was going for this machine (in general) and tried to talk me out of it because of the plastic parts. She did say whatever I did, do not get one with a busted motor as she said they are impossible to get hold of. She was really helpful with getting other parts, and a case wouldn’t be a problem.

It’s interesting that in many of the adverts there was the chip on the fly wheel that was discribed above because of the case going on wrong.

Should be here Before February.

Roger

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
Helen isn’t s big fan of slant shanks... I think they give unrivalled visibility but they’re not the most powerful and are a touch over engineered.

Having seen inside a 503a (which I would have thought was pretty similar to a 503j) I can say there’s almost no plastic in them, pressure foot tension gauge, and the balance wheel to bar gear, but I’ve never heard of one of those breaking. So I’m surprised she flagged plastic parts as an issue.

There is a bracket inside the case that if the case is the wrong way round chips the balance wheel which is such a shame!