The Sewing Place

African fabric quilt with black sashing - a first for me!

Sheilago

African fabric quilt with black sashing - a first for me!
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
I am being bold and starting my first ever quilt with black sashing, inspired by many I've seen people here make. It will be a surprise wedding gift for an adventurous young couple who have worked in  various African countries and who love the brightly coloured fabrics. As many of the beautiful fabrics  have black in them as well as bright colours I thought black sashing would tie them all together and be more practical for an every day throw, than my usual 'safe' cream sashing.

Not sure how big it will be, I'll see how quickly it goes. Then I'll have to decide on the backing.... no ideas on that yet. Do you prewash the black fabric in case it runs? Most of the African fabrics are prewashed.

Efemera

Re: African fabric quilt with black sashing - a first for me!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
I never prewash any quilt fabrics and never had any problems, I wash after quilting as I like the slightly antique look but others don't.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
Pics please ... you know the drill!!!

I think black sashing would look fabulous, really highlighting the bright colours that most African fabrics use.
Did you have a horribly sticky label on your fabrics ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
I, on the other hand, pre-wash everything just in case.  :) Very gently of course and I wash pre-cuts tied in a pillow case. I've only had one shambles with a pre-cut roll but that's because the fabric was rubbish!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »
I too am making a quilt with black sashing, I do it quite often Sheila as it makes colours sin. I never pre wash ( or post wash for that matter  :| ) any fabrics and have never had a problem. Looking forward to seeing it soon :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 16:44:55 PM »
I never pre wash either, nor had any problems with colour runs.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 22:10:54 PM »
Will post pics once I have a few more blocks done. Thankfully I didn't have any sticky labels. I have chosen a very simple square in square design, so I can make reasonably quick progress.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
One of my favourite blocks as t grows so quickly  :)

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
I always prewash/presoak my fabrics, particularly bold colours. I dump them in a really warm bath with a couple of colour catchers and leave it to soak for at least an hour, occasionally topping it up with more warm water and hand agitating. It slows my preparation and getting started on the project but every time I do it, and discard colour catchers with dye in them I am pleased I got to the trouble.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
How industrious of you Rubes, I really, really couldn't be a***d  :D

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 16:02:14 PM »
Oh dear, I have dashed off without making sure all are prewashed. I know some that I bought are washed, but I'm  not sure about all. Fingers crossed! Here is photo of the first blocks without their black sashing. I like to do them all and arrange them before I start on sashing.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 16:09:48 PM »
Ooh! That's gorgeous. When I read the description I was a bit  -< but seeing them together like that really makes a joyful noise!  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 21:26:15 PM »
Just laid out my blocks and put some sashing between 3. I ordered more African fabric as I thought I'd need it, but now I've laid out the blocks with the border, I think it's going to be big enough. It's just to be a throw for the happy couple's sofa! Mmm...what will I do with the new African fabric?

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 00:13:12 AM »
That's lovely Sheila :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
I love it.. I find a lot of African fabric patterns are too bold for me but the colours are great.. these little slices of colour look fabulous
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz