The Sewing Place

African fabric quilt with black sashing - a first for me!

Kenora

Re: African fabric quilt with black sashing - a first for me!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
Thank you. It might also have been bulkier because of the fleece backing (?). Whichever, it's a lovely quilt and very effective.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 23:28:26 PM »
It’s now just 4 weeks to the wedding and I’m having a few concerns that my quilted throw may not be enough for a wedding gift as both my husband and I are going  to  the whole wedding . I know the couple will appreciate it, but my question is - should I also buy them another conventional gift: vacuum cleaner, pots and pans etc. ?

Be honest fellow dark siders, what would you do? My husband says it will be one of the best presents they get and I’m not valuing my time in making it, but I don’t want to be mean! Have any of you given quilts as the sole wedding gift? -<
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 23:49:23 PM by Sheilago »

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
Have any of you given quilts as the sole wedding gift? -<

Yes!  a few months ago.
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1589.msg24176.html#msg24176

Although the quilt was a double bed sized and had pillow cases too, the quilting was nowhere near as spectacular as yours is.

I think that the quilt alone will be a sufficient gift, but if you are feeling very generous you could include a voucher (M&S, B&Q, John Lewis or whatever).  Probably not enough time left now to make a couple of cushion covers to match.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 07:36:29 AM »
Oh I think the quilt alone is a fine gift though if you are concerned, rather than have it play on your mind and perhaps cloud the day, I would do as BrendaP suggested and include a voucher of some sort. Perhaps one from a furniture emporium with a little note suggesting the recipients may like to choose their own matching cushions to complement their new quilt? That way it is all tied in together and lets them feel they can personalise/accessorise it to their liking?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 09:13:42 AM »
It’s now just 4 weeks to the wedding and I’m having a few concerns that my quilted throw may not be enough for a wedding gift

Are you kidding me ????????   :o

WE know how much time effort and money (fabric, wadding, backing and thread is not cheap) goes into even a small quilt, let alone a quilt for two to snuggle under.

Can I ask ...
Do these people have taste/style ? or do they think that furnishings from 'George' are classy ??
Have they ever admired any of your beautiful makes before ?

If the answers are yes, no , yes in that order then they are going to adore it and realise the time and effort you have put into a very special, nay ... unique .... gift made just for them.

They will love it Sheila (but I do understand your worrying ... just don't!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
I'd definitely give something else as well, probably a voucher  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Perhaps my opinion will be slightly controversial - but, surely, if you give a voucher as well as the quilt, you're undervaluing your own hard work in making a beautiful piece of art? As Iminei says, if your friends have taste, they'll know its value and love it. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vegegrow

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »
Just the quilt for me as well.. if the happy couple went out and bought a beautiful hand made throw think how much would they spend
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »
You can buy a (I think) mass produced printed simply quilted throw from Next for upwards of £50, made in India or China no doubt, with no charm, style or skill ...

How much would you usually spend on a wedding present .. that much? more???
Your quilt is worth sooo much more....

Just the quilt in my opinion,
and if they feel they've been shortchanged (they wont) they don't deserve it!

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
Hmmm... still not sure  -< Unless people are "makers" they don't understand what goes into something ( money, time or effort ) and on the rare occasions I make a quilt for someone who I think would appreciate it, I take care that it is an "extra" and not a main present. However, I guess you know the couple.... will it be appreciated and will the work, time money which went into it be appreciated. If so, I'd just give a voucher as well. If you're not sure how it will be received give a "proper " gift as well. You must feel it's appropriate for the couple to have considered making it, so go with your instinct  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 17:43:45 PM »
I would also just give the quilt.  I don't think anyone should have any expectation of a certain type or value of gift.  Nobody should feel compelled to spend more than they can afford.   I once gave someone some big bags of spring bulbs as a wedding present knowing that they had just bought a house with a virgin garden.  The bride's mother told me that they were thrilled with them because they were unexpected and  would be a reminder of their wedding day every year.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sheilago

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 22:15:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for all your replies, though I’m still  not certain what to do. I’m pretty sure the couple will appreciate it. I made them simple mats when they got engaged and they loved them . They have actually told people not to buy them presents, but I’m sure most people will ignore that request. I have seen a similar throw selling for over £200 on Etsy, but as some of you have said,even if they love it, they may not realise what it would cost to buy.Their wedding is going to be very casual and simple and as the bride’s mum is a very good friend , I have been helping her make bunting etc for the wedding.She knows I’m making the quilt and says they’re going to love it, but oh dear it is a tricky decision!

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 22:51:28 PM »
Its a tricky decision...

Absolutely not ... from your last reply, you have answered all our and your questions ... they will love it ... it is enough...

Relax!!!! Your beautiful quilt is enough!

and B R E A T H E !!!

fajita

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 22:52:37 PM »
I'm sure they won't want anything else, but if it would make YOU feel better, why not get them some wine and chocolates to complete the quiet night in ensemble.

Sheilago

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »
Thanks everyone. Have chatted to a few friends here too and have decided to stick with just the quilt, but will also give them a bottle of whisky for use either on a quiet night or at the wedding ( I do know they like it!). I’ve also ordered a personalised wooden Christmas tree decoration with their names and the year to include as part of the gift wrap. Thanks for all your comments, I feel I can loook forward to the wedding now.  :D