The Sewing Place

Taking the plunge!

Snowgoose

Taking the plunge!
« on: August 26, 2017, 16:00:28 PM »
I'm going to learn to crochet  - I hope :D  :P

Is it very difficult to make granny squares?  I'm torn between trying to make a granny square or, make this cushion cover http://vickymyerscreations.co.uk/tutorial-2/easy-crochet-cushion-for-the-none-crochetter/ I've purchased a hook and a ball of multicoloured neon dk!!  Crazy colour, but I need something bright as it's easier to work with, especially in the evenings!

I'm hoping that I end up with something nice for my little :meow: to sleep on  8)

toileandtrouble

Re: Taking the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 16:30:53 PM »
Granny squares very easy!  And good for using up the last scraps of wool.  You will enjoy it, I'm sure.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 16:59:24 PM »
My granny taught me to crochet simple chains and things when I was very young..she died when I was 8.
About 3 or 4 years ago I picked up a crochet hook, followed a youtube video and crocheted very acceptable granny squares! Easy peasy! Maybe because I'm granny aged now.  :)
I'm not quite ready for the dresses or gloves in crochet cotton (thread) that she did but I was happy with the result.  0_0
Go for it!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 17:00:24 PM »
My d.i.l taught me how to cast on and do a row, but I never got the hang of it  :( I forgot what to do and even the internet didn't help me remember :( I never could turn a corner and come back :( I'd love to try again though, but it just doesn't make any sense to me :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 17:16:29 PM »
Go you!  Crochet is MUCH easier than knitting, in my opinion.  Granny squares are especially easy, and you can find lots of tutorials on YouTube.

Stitches

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 18:40:53 PM »
I have just learned to do crocheting with the aid of you tube.go for it.i found following the crochet crowd very helpful

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 22:31:11 PM »
I learned to crochet from You Tube a couple of years ago. The main difficulty I found was getting used to holding the yarn in my left hand, whereas when knitting it's in my right. Once I got used to that, it was fine. I've done a lacy scarf, a few blankets, several toys.Your cat must be pampered, getting a specially crocheted cushion- don't tell my dogs!  :D

MistyRose

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 23:59:53 PM »
I hold the yarn in my left hand when I'm doing knitting or crochet.
There are patterns for Beginners including a tutorial for a granny square on this page.   https://diyprojects.com/amazing-crochet-patterns-for-beginners/

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
Try the Attic 24 website for lots of patterns and ideas, she has some good tutorials and seems to explain things well.

One thing that took me ages to figure out, British and American crochet terms are different.  We have  similar names but they refer to different stitches, a British Double Crochet is an American Single Crochet.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
You Tube is just so much fog ( on any subject ) to me  :D
I am not a visual learner...I need line by line written instructions to be able to do anything.
When I get something new, I read the manual from cover to cover before even unpacking the item..............but I skip any pictures  :devil:

maliw

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
DD has just started to crochet, she too has been looking at YouTube, last Sunday she raided my wool stash and crochet hooks  ><
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
My Grandma taught me to crochet when I was a child - I didn't think it had gone in, but a couple of years later the 'latest craze' at school was making granny squares.  A friend showed me just once and I realised that yes I did know how to crochet. 0_0

I found it was quicker than knitting when I was making baby jackets etc, but maybe a bit harder on the hands as they get older.

One thing to be very aware of if teaching yourself from YouTube or anywhere else on the web.  American names are a step less than English names; ie our treble crochet (as used in most granny squares) is what Americans call double crochet.  Our double crochet is their single crochet etc.

Much like their buildings go 1st storey, 2nd storey, 3rd storey whilst ours are ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
I've mastered the chain ... yeah!!  :D but, despite my book and You Tube I can't fathom out where to put the hook through to start dcs :( I "can't see" the V of the stitches they talk about :(
Off to try again  :ninja:

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 15:10:14 PM »
Think i might have mastered the double crochet stitch..... ridiculously pleased with myself  :D

Pearl

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 16:07:23 PM »
I knit lots but cannot master crochet.  Most of my sewing room is full of hooks, yarn and "teach yourself to crochet" type books.  I have a craftsy course from which I have learned double crochet.  I think I have reached my potential.   :D