The Sewing Place

Orange lingerie Marlborough bra

dolcevita

Orange lingerie Marlborough bra
« on: August 27, 2017, 14:39:48 PM »
I've been wandering into the world of lingerie making over recent months and have used the Marlborough bra pattern from Orange lingerie a few times now and it's a pattern that I really like and get a good fit from.

Whilst I'm not a difficult size to fit (38B), I like pretty bras and resent paying a fortune for them.  I'm also fortunate to have a friend who is able to get hold of beautiful lace and all the bits and pieces for them.

This is my latest version of this pattern.  It's the usual powermesh at the back but the frame and lower cups are in silk satin and the upper cups in some lovely Dutch lace.  I was feeling brave and topstitched in pale lilac to pick up one of the colours in the lace.  I don't expect to get a lot of wear out of this as the silk won't be very hard wearing, but that's okay as I'll re-used a lot of the bits when it does wear out.

Orange lingerie patterns are available as PDF patterns.  They aren't cheap and I nearly didn't buy them but I'm glad I did as I have used them a great deal and more than got my money's worth out of them.  The Montgomery knicker pattern is quite ingenious in how it achieves a no-VPL look at they are well worth the cost, too, in my opinion.

Iminei

Re: Orange lingerie Marlborough bra
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
Thats beautiful and I take my hat off to your skill in being able to make it.

Bra shopping used to reduce me to tears when i was younger as there was nothing delicate or pretty for a small sized girl with big boobs!

Now I squeeze myself into the Sumptuously Soft Zeppelins from Marks and Sparks knowing no one is going to be seeing them but myself and they at the least feel more comfy then most, tho' I should run the gauntlet again sometime soon as since putting on weight after the menopause they are beginning to pinch a lil.

TMI !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
I have always hated my big bosom  :angry: Most shops only stock pretty colours / patterns in small sizes ( I am a 38DD )The best ones I have found are from ASDA of all places  :o I'd love to be able to afford a bust reduction or a visit to a proper lingerie shop  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
Thanks, ladies.

Being well endowed is not a situation I've ever faced (nor am likely to), but I was largely introduced to lingerie making by a friend who has a narrow back and large cup size and subsequently does struggle to get good fit in her bras.  To get this in RTW, she estimates it costs her around £75 for a bra.

That said, the ones I've made are far more comfortable than RTW and, of course, the variety is infinite, which I really enjoy.  I'm losing weight at the moment and when I get towards my target weight, I know that I will go down to an A cup.  This brings its own fitting problems in RTW, not to mention low availability of nice bras in an A cup that aren't designed for teenagers!  The distribution and placement of my 50 year old boobs is very different to those of an 18 year old, even if there isn't much of them.

I've been watching a Craftsy class by Beverly Johnson on designer bras recently and have really enjoyed it.  Her basic bra making classes are very good as well.  I reckon that if you have to spend upwards of £50 on a single bra, the time and effort of learning to make your own is a worthwhile investment if you have the means to do it. 

I found the thought of sewing a bra to be very intimidating when I first tried it - very alien territory for me and completely out of my comfort zone but it was worth perservering.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 14:18:24 PM »
but it was worth perservering.

Absolutely, I might be placing an order with you  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

CarolC

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 14:39:28 PM »
That's really beautiful! What a lovely set of fabrics.

Bra making has been on my list for ages, and what you say and have managed to do is really encouraging. The only ones (I jest not) that fit properly are only sold in America and are $65/each! As you say, one of those is more or less the same as the cost of a class, then if they can be replicated...

Did you need a coverstitch machine or can you make them with just a regular machine and an overlocker?

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 17:24:44 PM »
Hi Carol,

You don't even need an overlocker.  As long as your sewing machine can do a 3-step zig zag, that's all you need.  For decades I wondered what was the point of a 3-step zig zag (it looks like a zig zag drawn with a dotted line on the machine), and now I know!

Lingerie making is has very basic needs in terms of the machine, it's all the bits and pieces that you need for the bra that can be a little intimidating to begin with.  If you have any bras that are heading for the bin, it's a good idea to strip all the bits and pieces off them before chucking, including the underwires.  If you want to make a practice version from scrappy fabric, it's then not so bad if you already have some of the hardware.

The Dutch blogger, Sigrid, has some great photo tutorials on her site that are very clear and well worth a look to understand all the bits of a bra and how they are put together.  You can find them here:

http://sigridsewingprojects.blogspot.co.uk/p/tutorials.html

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 18:15:00 PM »
I echo everything Dolcevita has said having now made 2 bras that are supremely comfortable..  I wonder if rtw bras actually fit anyone properly.  My biggest bugbear was having virtually no choice of colours of non wired bras other than black, white or beige.  I have the fabric to have a go at a lace one next.
There is one issue I have found which may affect someone else too.  I am allergic to nickel.  I didn't know before but M & S use nickel free hardware in their bras.  Of the 2 I have made from bra kits one is fine, the other I am allergic to the hooks even through the fuzzy fabric backing.  I hand stitched an additional piece of double folded cotton fabric on the back that extends about half an inch beyond the hooks and that seems to be ok.  I haven't yet investigated obtaining nickel free hardware but suspect it won't be simple.
Life's too short for ironing.

CarolC

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
Dolcevita and Ploshkin, thanks for the encouragement and the link. Will definitely have a go! xx

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
The big problem I have with making bras, is time....

I spent a weekend last year, making 2 toiles, but still not even close on the fit.

Maybe it's time for another go.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
A bit off topic but it's worth checking out A Bra That Fits to do a fit check and calculation every now and again. They have a different method to most bra fitters. https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide I refuse to get measured on the high street any more, Marks & Spencer and Bravissimo etc are all too likely to fit you into a size that they actually sell. I was wearing a 40B and now I wear a 38FF.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 19:15:16 PM »
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 18:22:29 PM by sewingj »

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
I applaud you sewingj ... everything in this house goes in the machine at 40c ( even the cat if she doesn't move quickly enough  :D ) and I'd be afraid to pay much for a bra ( even M&S prices ) in case it wasn't comfy long term..That's probably why I go to ASDA for mine ( all except one from there has been comfy )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
I also use Soak. Anyone who says they don't have time for handwashing hasn't given it a go because it takes 30 seconds! I fill up the sink with warm water, chuck some Soak in, throw the bras in and let them Soak while I shower. Then after I'm out I squeeze them out on the towel I've just used and hang them up in the bathroom to dry. No time at all!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 15:25:49 PM »
Thanks for that linky Fran, I've just tried the measuring calculator, and they think I need a 40FF/G.  I'm currently wearing a 42B.  I am not really convinced.