The Sewing Place

Beaded lace appliques on tulle

sewsilly

Beaded lace appliques on tulle
« on: August 27, 2017, 19:35:11 PM »
I am working on a dress that has three layers of tulle above a satin skirt and the top layer of tulle has beaded lace appliques in a triangular shape at the hemline to a good 20" up the front and the entire train in the back. It is rather heavy and I am worried the dingle layer of tulle might tear with it, should I stitxh the three layers together around the lace border or sew the whole thing to the satin? Or should the one layer be strong enough to hold the lace? The lace is almost solid across the sections and beaded. Thanks!
Doing what I love and loving what I do... sewing...

Catllar

Re: Beaded lace appliques on tulle
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 20:29:04 PM »
Might be worth catching through all layers from time to time to spread the strain unless you want the layers to move separately, in which case I don't know what to suggest.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewsilly

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:39:41 AM »
THat was kindof what I was leaning towards. Nice to have reassurance of my thoughts! Thanks

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 19:59:29 PM »
Welcome. Look forward to seeing it done!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewing in oz

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
If you want the tulle layers to float separately (which I guess is the aim), can you perhaps trial using a second ever-so-slightly-larger piece of tulle behind each piece of applique lace, in a similar way that you would think about stabiliser for machine embroidery?  Your sandwich from outside to inside would be lace, tulle skirt, piece of backing tulle.  I haven't done this but it might work?

sewsilly

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 19:32:43 PM »
It is more the backing tulle that I want to make sure is not going to rip from the weight of the appliques. By sewing to the satin or the other layers of tulle behind the top layer, it should I hope stabilize and even the weight of the  Appliques. I am going to stitch only around the top area, so leaving the hem to float... pinning first!