The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Morgan

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2017, 22:25:38 PM »

. . .  threads from here https://www.embroideredjust4u.co.uk/are cheap but very good, . . .
Bear in mind the emb thread collections from that site all seem to be polyester
I didn't see any Rayon 40s there.

It helps to know that polyester usually needs different tension settings (higher) than rayon 40s on domestic single needle machines.

Generally it helps to start off with Rayon thread. Once you've mastered that, move on to polyester for specific projects.  Rayon and Polyester have different properties and further down the line you choose the one that's appropriate for the project. 

Some more info

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2017, 22:47:25 PM »
I've only ever used the polyester threads, I didn't know it made any difference.

Iminei

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2017, 18:01:16 PM »
Elvis is in the building!

Specifically the newly tidied sewing/art/wardrobe/spare room.

We left at 8.45 and were home at 4.30 with a fantastically smooth, stress free journey both there and back.

The machine is pristine, higher stitch count than expected but the lady selling said she had embroidered four or five blankies (names, dates of birth etc) and an apron for her daughter.

I am more than happy and am quivering with excitement at the fact I (almost) own a Brother 750E with full Software package .... but I am very, very good at waiting, in fact I relish it, much to hubby's dismay! (he who urged me to unpack and play 40 seconds after stepping through the door!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2017, 18:18:57 PM »
Ooooohhhh, how exciting!!!  0_0 Have fun with it  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2017, 18:41:11 PM »
Nice one!!   0_0

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2017, 20:48:13 PM »
have fun Imi  :toast:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ellabella

« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2017, 21:18:53 PM »
Enjoy you new machine Imi.

Very soon you will produce something amazing :D

supergran

« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2017, 21:40:51 PM »
I'm so pleased you got it Imi. How long do you have to wait until it's officially yours?  :vintage:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2017, 22:00:39 PM »
Have fun with your new machine.  Soon you'll be embroidering everything in sight!   :)

Sewbee

« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2017, 22:27:04 PM »
Been thinking about you all day, Imi, wondering if things worked out with your new machine. So glad you got it!  :D

Iminei

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
We had a power cut this morning!
Imself took iself off to tidy the garden and make a tip run and I sneaked into the S/A/W/S room to stroke Elvis's box

...Shhh Dont tell!!

My birthday is still a day or so away ... I will resist!

Sewbee

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
Beautiful! When my Bernina first arrived it sat in the packing box in the kitchen for about a week because I was prepping (completely emptying spare room) for new flooring and there was nowhere to put it. I kept admiring the box with "Bernina" written on the outside  :D.

Can't wait for you to open it and play!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:10:04 AM by Sewbee »

Elnnina

« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
Oh Imi, that is excellent news, and what a superb birthday present.  I am sure you will find some lovely designs that you will want to stitch out.

Just thought of another  source of embroidery designs and that is Martha Pullen – never used them though.
I am not surprised that you are tired from that long trek yesterday, so take it easy today, your lovely new machine will be sitting there waiting for you when you are ready.

I was recommended Gutermann Sulky Filmoplast tear away – this comes on a roll 25cm x 5m and you use this in the hoop and tear back the film which leaves a sticky surface on which to position your fabric (apparently saves hooping the actual fabric and possibly distorting the fabric in the process) however you still need something like Stitch and Tear as a stabiliser underneath, so between the hoop and the machine base.  So do go looking on line to see what is available.  I had to order my Filmoplast – look at Barnyarns or Jaycotts to see what they have, some places like Lord’s Sewing which is in Oswaldtwistle Mills in Lancashire do some stabiliser trial packs so a good way of trying them out and seeing what you like and don’t like before making a huge purchase.  I’ve also just noticed that Lord’s also do some embroidery designs, I shall go and explore this myself later.

Iminei

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
When I got The Splurge it lived in its box in the front room for a couple of weeks before I used it for the first time, ...
it seemed too precious to use!! It continued living in the box for another month or so until I packed it away and used its proper cover.

The box of threads that came with Elvis are Marathon 100% Viscose Rayon ... Any good??
and there are two rolls of stabiliser, one seems a pretty normal standard stuff (exactly the width of the largest hoop)
and there is a roll that reminds me of the sticky back plastic I used on my exercise books at school.
Its called Neschen ????

The Software it comes with is the Brother PE Plus, which (I understand) is the full package!!! Woo Hooo!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
I don't know how you can resist!  I'd already have that out the box and sewing something!
I'm sure the more knowledgeable peeps will be along to comment on your threads and stabilisers, I've mainly used washaway stabilisers on fleece up to now.  I believe it's a case of using the correct type ratter than the brand, but as I said, I don't know a lot, I just bodge it and ...  :P