The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
Digitizing software lite in both cases retailing around £300-400 and for the full package coming closer to an eyewatering Grand!!

What would you want to be doing with the software?   I never run any machine make software.  There is an alternative.  But of course the shops won't tell you that as they need to sell the software from the machine companies. 

Morgan

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2017, 13:40:50 PM »
Software - Depends what type of embroidery you want to do now and what you may want to do longer term.

Any machine we buy does not have to be a forever machine, likewise you don't need to buy a full blown package for digitising your own designs right at the start. You can start with what enables you to do what you need now and upgrade or change to something else further down the line.
in fact there's a lot of sense in beginning with a starter machine, learning and then deciding if you want to continue at all or get something bigger or more capable later.  Same goes for software.

For (domestic)software, for many reasons concerned with where things are moving to businesswise, it's a good idea to avoid getting locked into a software package under a machine brand name eg. Janome, Brother, Bernina, programmes etc.  They make machines and commission another company to create the software.  For all sorts of reasons, especially software support and actually turning around fixes without going through middle men, now I recommend very, very strongly to choose a package that is created and sold by the business that makes the package.

Consider either -

Hatch (by Wilcom who made the packages for sewing machine companies eg. Janome, Bernina etc.)
or
Embird

Both Hatch and Embird offer a modular combination where you can either buy the all singing and dancing full digitising package from the outset or start with a basic viewing/edit package and add on extra or more advanced modules as and when you choose.

Alternatively - at the very beginning you can manage with one of the free/open source basic viewing and minimal editing packages.  They are adequate for being able to see your purchased designs, sometimes convert the format and sometimes remove bits or combine a couple of designs into an arrangement or rotate, mirror and copy.

Hoops - depending on the type of embroidery you're going to do and the frequency, you should expect to replace hoops.
Hoops for domestic single needle machines are nowhere near as strong or stable as hoops for multi-needle machines.  Hoops for domestic machines can distort and be strained very easily and quickly (usually because of over-tightening or packing edges in order to get grip - both the wrong thing to do btw)
If used with thick or heavy fabrics (eg. quilting sandwiches, towels, or heavy fabric, etc.) then it makes sense to keep and use a new hoop for lightweight fabrics or FSL etc.  There is no point at all in risking spoiling an item that has been expensive in terms of your time and effort and sometimes fabric cost just because of some hoop slippage because you need a new hoop.    Same goes for risking a project by skimping on needles or replacing bobbins.  Also, many people buy one or more extra bobbin cases (and adjust them for different types/weights of bobbin fill and different types of embroidery).
As for cost -  well, hoops cost what they cost. If you do a lot of machine embroidery then replacing frequently used hoops should be considered or you find yourself spending more and more time and effort finding ways to try and control slippage and design distortion.
As always affordability and what we see as expensive or the going rate is relative to our own situation - £50 or £70 for a replacement hoop every 12 - 24 months of use for some people is cheaper than one night out.

Machine embroidery is not cheap, let's face it it's not a mainstream activity.
It helps to remember that at the beginning it is not necessary to get every stabiliser type or every colour thread or every hoop size or loads of designs or different types of embroidery thread and so on.  Often it's much more practical to learn the basics, ie. correct stabiliser/design/fabric/thread/needle combinations and appropriate hooping method for fabric/project, followed by multi-hoop designs.  Once the basics have been mastered, it's a good time to take a step back and decide what you want from an embroidery machine and whether you want a full on digitising package or massive hoops or a multi-needle machine or every colour of a particular thread, etc.
For many people that decision point seems to come around after using the first machine for about 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 13:51:26 PM by Morgan »

Syrinx

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
I will second not buying the janome or brother digitising software. If you decide you need to digitise, embird is really very pood and as mentioned above, you can buy it in modules.

Hoops are interesting - I hardly ever use the very small ones. Ditto the above information. I don't do quilting designs as I would want to buy a hoop just for that as mostly I do cotton or sometimes polos/jumpers etc so not very thick.

My V5 is lovely, and from chatting and researching they all act pretty similar, the V5 is just bigger, and faster than the smaller ones. I got it second hand with 2 of every hoop and some spare bobbins and other bits for about a grand. That was my budget and I was lucky I saw it pop up because I was looking at brand new 2 models down with the hoops and extra bits for my money.

Big thing to remember is needles - get the right ones! And don't skimp on the wrong type of bobbin either.

Mine needs a service as the needle housing screw is dead so can't stabilise the needle block. Found this out when it smashed a needle mid stitch out. I religiously check the tightness pre stitch out and it was sad, but it was due a service anyway and I have no idea if previous owner serviced it ever!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 20:24:59 PM »
Personally I wouldn't touch one.  Like Bernettes aren't Bernina these aren't actually Husqvarnas. 

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 20:52:27 PM »
Really ?????  :o
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 22:04:28 PM »
Imi, I found out from someone who  quilts as well as from a dealer that the Brother Innov-is machines are superior machines and easy to use. They are supposed to be very well built. I haven't seen one myself, though.

Iminei

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »
Thank you Ladies for all your continued input,

I'm going to view said Husky this aft. (It would've been rude not to after all the effort I put into finding her) and will see what I think.

I too have been told that Brother make Embroidery machines and Janome make Sewing machines ... each tip toeing into the others territory just a bit, but I have always thought if you want to eat Seafood don't go to a Steakhouse!!!

The excellent deal on the Brother 800E is ending today (£300 off) so I'm pretty certain thats not going to be on my birthday list next month, what with Imself being off on a Jolly on the High Seas for the next 12 days ...

I also have been informed of a Brother 750E coming up for sale as the owner is upgrading! I was told this by the Brother Dealer who is selling the Lucky Lady the new machine and who will be servicing her old one before sale.

So what do we think about the 750E, what questions should I ask, What extras would be advantageous with it and what sort of price do you think I should be paying...

I know, I know, I can hear you all scrabbling in that kitchen drawer everyone has for various lengths of string to hold up to the screen ... but any help, tips or advice will be gratefully received and listened to.

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
That's an excellent price, Brenda! I have been looking at various sewing machines for weeks now and I think that's a savings of about £300 plus it has the embroidery kit with it.

I came across this one just now quite by accident so I thought I'd post it. The seller has excellent reviews and deals in sewing machines.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTSTANDING-CONDITION-HYSQUVARNA-ORCHIDIA-1-EMBROIDERY-SEWING-MACHINE/202066931730

It's a used machine for £750.

Iminei

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 14:36:15 PM »
That is an excellent price as it seems to have the software too ...
Only problem is location and fact I cant message the seller since ebay consider me to be some kind of criminal and have blocked my messages.

I would ask if they would consider sending by courier or if I could have the item picked up be a courier.

Any TSPers near Colchester?????????

Ploshkin

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2017, 15:34:25 PM »
Iminei, are you including a phone number in your messages?  E Bay block messages containing phone numbers (presumably e mail addresses as well) because they have copped on to the fact that so many people do the deal outside E Bay to avoid the fees (my DH is very peeved)
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2017, 16:28:02 PM »
I think that if you were to click on the Buy Now button and complete the payment with PayPal Ebay would allow you to contact the seller - after all how would the seller know where to send it to or be able to tell you where to collect it from?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Elnnina

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2017, 16:48:36 PM »
Iminei, the machine referred to as a Husqvarna Orchida  that Sewbee has found up in Stoke on Trent is in fact a very old machine, by old I mean manufactured a very long time ago, so whilst it might be working at the moment, in the future if anything went wrong I doubt you would get it sorted.  Many years ago I too found an Orchida going for what I thought a sensible price, but on making contact with Husqvarna themselves they told me how long ago they had stopped making this machine, so I steered well clear.  Also any software with this machine would be way out of date, thus you would be limited to what was in that package.

I do hope you find something that you will enjoy using - good luck.

Iminei

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 17:58:34 PM »
Hi Gals

Well I have viewed two machines ... the husky ending tomorrow and the Brother 750E my friend Andrew told me about.
I know which I want ... the Brother hands down.

But which Brother 750E ????

Hubby is home for about 10 hours tomorrow evening and I'm going to hit him with the ... 'Haven't you ever wanted to visit Colchester Cathedral / Marina / Shopping centre ????

Reasons being :-

Colchester Brother ... indeed looks to be brand new, untouched (Why are they selling??) and has all the gadgets and gizmos (usually associated with a sale from SMD or the like) including, more importantly, the Software .... £675 + Petrol

Ferndown Brother (about 10 miles from me) ... lovely lady, showed me it to me in action, but has been used for 18 months (tho' she will be having it fully serviced) and comes with two extra hoops and nothing else. .... £550

What do you think Girls  ???