The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Iminei

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
As you may or may not know I have been thinking (for over a year really) about whether to take the plunge and get an embroidery machine!

I like The Splurge very much and would like to stay with Janome ...
unless you can offer me cast iron advice against doing so.

I have been trying to find somewhere that would hire me the new 500E, so far to no avail, so I can have a test drive of the machine at my own pace and to see whether I could get on with it and would actually use it.

I have seen on fleabay a 350E for sale at £500

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Janome-Memory-Craft-350E-Embroidery-Machine-/222552554986?hash=item33d12a7dea:g:eaIAAOSw5cRZIZZm

and wondered whether that might be an option to see whether I want/like/need the machine

So please can someone tell me the pros and cons between the new 500E (at £1500) or a secondhand, (now discontinued I believe) 350E (at £500) ?????
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 15:13:26 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Pros and cons please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
I've got the 350e and love it.  However, I have never tried anything else to compare it to.  The general advice is buy one with as big a hoop as you can afford.  My biggest is 5" x 7".

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
Would you say the Fleabay 350E is a reasonable price ?
Is there anything missing from the listing ?

I'm not really a hearts and flowers sort of a girl so doubt that included designs will be my cup of tea ... How easy (and what do you need) is it to 'make' your own designs ?

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
I'd love an embroidery machine but am put off by 2 things.
1. You have to download things from the net and I'm not very tecchie.
2. I wouldn't know what to embroider ( not clothes that's for sure..... sees image of EWM in head  :devil: )
I'll be following your progress avidly Iminei  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
Making your own designs, "digitizing", is not simple.  There is software out there, but I've not designed my own because there are lots of sites selling designs.  I have altered bought designs, that's not too difficult. 
I can't remember what I paid for my machine, I'll have a look at that listing in a mo, just need to get some washing hung out.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »
EWM - or not?

Jo

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
I don't know either machine so can't be of much help with a comparison.
But here's some questions to ask yourself:
- how much do you think you would emboider?
- do you plan on selling or just as a hobby?
- what do you want to embroider - quilts, shirts, bags etc?
If budget is an issue and you only want it as a hobby, I'd get the 350E. If you find it's a hobby you'd like to pursue further, you can always upgrade :)
Digitizing is not very simple or straightforward. Very simple designs, yes. Something more complex...well, there's a learning curve. There are so many nice emrboidery designs out there that you can almost always find something you like. There's also the cost of the software to factor in if you want to digitize (which is NOT cheap). There is an auto digitize function, but unless it's a VERY simple design, it's crap!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
The ebay listing looks like it's all there, I think.  They are currently £799 at sewingmachinesales and John Lewis.
Have a look at Urban Threads for designs.  There are also stippling designs out on t'interweb for squares for quilting that may interest you.

Syrinx

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
Urban threads do quilting designs too Jo.

Depends how much you tdink you'll do. I rate Brother for embroidery machines but Janome are good as well.

Digitising is doable, I use Embird. But you do have to be fairly understanding of vectors and how that sort of software works etc. As Jo and others said loads of places that sell designs so you don't have to make your own.

Jo

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
There are a few classes on Craftsy on digitizing, maybe you could take a look to see if it is something you would do?
Also, there are a lot of people that do digitizing, depending on how many projects you'd need digitized it may end up cheaper than buying the software to do your own.

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
Another thing is that servicing costs more and there are fewer people that do it. You also go through needles like bilio!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
I have to say I haven't changed a needle yet...

Iminei

Re: Pros and cons please ... Brother 750E
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 14:09:06 PM »
Imself has just sent me this link from fleabay ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Brother-Innovis-750e-embroidery-machine-HUGE-BUNDLE-of-extras-/202043213735?hash=item2f0ab6c7a7:g:PfYAAOSwA79Zmwbi

The ad comes over a bit aggressive but Im willing to ignore that for the right deal

Can anyone review the machine for me ???

Look at the goods involved (does it look like someone has died or been a kitmurvy*) Are they worth it?? 

Know the cost of the software required for digitizing ?

*http://meaningofliff.free.fr/definition.php3?word=Kitmurvy&lang=en
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 14:13:23 PM by Iminei »

KayK

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 22:17:44 PM »
Hello!I have the slightly earlier version of this machine, also from flea bay.... was sold by chap whose wife had died.  It is super easy to use, and the stitch quality is fab.  The inbuilt designs are limited, but there are plenty of cd's etc out there to be downloaded onto machine.  That one does have a lot of stuff with it, and one of the questions I might ask is how many hours use has it had and how many stitches has it done (the display should be able to tell you this!) The one excellent thing on these machines is the needle threader - its fantastic!  better than on my older Janome and 3 year old Pfaff - one push of a lever and ping! threaded!  Bobbin winding can be a bit dodgy...The thread can go a bit free form if not watched!  The bobbins are slightly larger than normal machine ones, so not compatible.

I have used mine on 'themed' mini quilts for children - have embroidered patches with childrens names and initials, animals, princesses etc - had a lot of fun with it!  Some of the patterns can take half an hour to stitch - so not very interactive, unless you are changing colours a lot!

Agree with the rather shouty advert! - But the cost of all those reels of thread must have come to a fair amount, but in all honesty i would ask for a pic of the machine stitching status - just to see how much work it has done!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
Thank you Darling ... I will go ask!