The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Lowena

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 17:45:13 PM »
And.......... just what would you embroider with it/??
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 17:57:08 PM »
Some nice t-shirts, a la EWM?   ;)  Or just imagine what you could do for a quilt...

Lowena

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 18:22:11 PM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Morgan

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 22:15:25 PM »
I think it would have to have its own permanent position and there [/size]is[/size] a large desk available upstairs in the sewing/embroidery/art/wardrobe/spare room upstairs

Absolutely.

Seriously, if you're going to get worthwhile use out of an embroidery machine, giving it a dedicated space is the way to go.  It doesn't have to be a huge space - just enough to move the largest hoop through the full range. 
If it's a single needle stand alone machine, remember you can set it up so that it's end on to you with easy access to the hoop attachment lock to your left, or even in the middle of a table rather than at the edge or arranged like a sewing machine.

A couple of really useful first things to make are a hanging hoop caddy/organiser and a hanging stabiliser caddy -
 [/size][size=78%]https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/141019032055304195/[/size]
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/95701560805667729/
organiser for embroidery stabiliser
http://www.sulkyembclub.com/detail.aspx?id=902

Clear plastic boxes are best for storing embroidery threads - keep them out of the light.

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 07:57:48 AM »
Is there such a thing as a Janome 400E ???????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
There is indeed - I'd paste a linky, but struggling on my phone!

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
No need B&S ... found it!

and SMD!

also investigating the Brother Innovis 800e

.... The designs included on the Janome were pretty ...Nyeh!

How easy is it to get other designs onto a machine?

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
If it has a usb connection you just download them to your usb memory stick and then plug it into your machine easy peasy.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
If it has a usb connection you just download them to your usb memory stick and then plug it into your machine easy peasy.

Thats what you say!!!!!

Right the choice is between ...

Janome 500e
Janome 400e
Brother Innovis 8o0e

Syrinx

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
I like brother for embroidery. I have the biggest single needle (second hand for a steal in case you think I'm flush!) and it's fab.

Needs a service at the moment, but easy peasy to use. Usb transfer is like so.

Plug usb into computer.
Drag and drop file onto usb.
Plug usb into machine.

Kad

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 13:25:34 PM »
If the machine that you're interested in is capable of both embroidery and sewing rather than just embroidery, it might be an idea to stick with the same manufacturer as your main sewing machine as many of the extras (feet etc) will almost certainly fit both machines. Also you will only have one brand of bobbins to consider.

I have a Janome 11000, purchased 2nd hand off e**y, and a 8900QCP, and although the 8900 has a max stitch width of 9 mm I purchased a second  'ankle' for the 11000 which fits both machines allowing me to use the fancy extra feet that I have on both machines - as long as I remember to restrict the max stitch width on the 8900 to 7mm  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 13:36:18 PM »
thx Kad

I'm interested in embroidery only as the dual ones are v expensive and i'm very happy with The Splurge (my Atelier 5)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 15:44:42 PM »
Having only ever used my Janone 350e I can't really help you with regards to the others, apart from they always say buy the biggest hoop you can afford.  I've no complaints about my Janome though.

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
Headed off to Franklins in Salisbury for a demo on the Brother 800E, and this was the result.

Not as much a solo effort as the Janome 500E sample, but at least it is correctly spelt (Oh the shame!)
I like this machine very much, more standard designs (of a style I prefer) and much neater than the Janome, taking up less room ...

The cost of extras is also eye watering in both camps ... Hoops just under £50 for the Brother and nearer to £70 for Janome!!! Digitizing software lite in both cases retailing around £300-400 and for the full package coming closer to an eyewatering Grand!!!

The question of space is beginning to trouble me with this proposed purchase, as space chez nous is severely limited.

Acorn

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »
Hoops were silly prices for all the machines I looked at, although they can often be bought secondhand on Etsy or Ebay - I got one that should have been around £110 for £26.50 and another that should have been £120 for £50.

Just a shame for the first one that I accepted what the listing said at face value and didn't discover until later that it was too big for my machine... although they did throw in another (useful) hoop free because they had it lying around!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.