The Sewing Place

Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!

Elnnina

Re: Pros and cons please ... Embroidery machine in the offing!!
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2017, 20:16:54 PM »
Hi Imi, can you possibly give me some measurements of your Elvis Machine, so length, width and height of the machine part and the  length, width and height  of the embroidery part.

In the photo you put up of Elvis on the desk, it looks like a big machine, so if Twopence and I are going to try and make a pattern from my cover, we might just as well make the pattern to your machine’s measurements.

Oh I do like a challenge.  Years ago Twopence and I were prolific machine knitters, and when others said something could not be done knitting wise, we liked proving them wrong!  Okay I have the advantage of having this lovely Bernina cover sitting here on my cabinet so I have a head start over Twopence as her machine does not have this cover, and I think we can come up with a pattern for you tailored to your machine’s personal measurements.

You never know once Twopence has seen my cover, I am sure she will want one for her new machine and embroidery unit.

Iminei

« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2017, 16:13:16 PM »
Woo Hoo ... Craftsy are having a sale and two classes have dropped into my cart ...

20 things every machine embroiderer should know  by Lindee Goodall
and
Digitizing machine embroidery designs by Cookie Gaynor

I will crack this !!! Elvis will sing again!

I hope they're good .. Does anybody know???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2017, 18:34:12 PM »

How do you keep the threads tidy after they have been opened???

Firstly apologies i am a bit late to this party so you may now have sorted out all your problems. With regards keeping thread tidy i have these on my wall and the threads are kept tidy because i use Brother threads and they have a little clip in the top of the spool that you can anchor your thread in.
spoolstand
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2017, 22:52:04 PM »
Yes - I have a couple of those on my wall, and they are brilliant.  They look good, too - rainbows of colour!

They do currently have lots and lots of threads hanging down from my initial batch of simthreads - which are not bad, better than a lot - but I am changing to Gutermann now - which are really lovely - and Gutermann reels have grooves to hold the thread.  I think they might be worth it just for that, never mind the fact that they seldom shred or break, have a much nicer texture and come in a much subtler range of colours.

Oh - and they don't require the tension on my machine to be turned down to 0.2!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
Imself made me one of those funky stands for Christmas 2013 ... from scratch!!

It was such a wonderful surprise as I had only just discovered they existed a week or so before the big day and they seemed to exist only in America (at that time) so even allowing for sudden flash of inspiration on Imselfs part, I knew I wouldn't be getting one of those due to shipping times ... but I did and made to measure at that!

b15erk

« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
I bought a huge box of embroidery thread from the charity shop last year (or the year before  :S), and most had strips of sellotape anchoring the loose ends.  If you value your machine, don't do this! It leaves a sticky residue, which needs to be unwound before using, or it will gum up your needle.

I found that loom bands (those tiny, coloured elastics children play with), are perfect for keeping things tidy.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Iminei, I don't wish to upset you in any way, but when I got my Janome 300e several years ago now, it came with 50/60 Robison Anton rayon embroidery threads and a storage rack thing much like the one  made by Imself as a wonderful surprise for you. I arranged my lovely threads  prettily and kept it on a shelf in full sight....

Please don't store your embroidery threads long term on this rack, it's fine for organising them for immediate use in an embroidery but they are sensitive to light and moisture and are better stored long term in something like a  clear plastic clip-top box  - ask me how I discovered this for myself!

Enjoy Elvis and remember that you will learn something new from every unsatisfactory result.  <3
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sewbee

« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
Imself made me one of those funky stands for Christmas 2013 ... from scratch!!

It was such a wonderful surprise as I had only just discovered they existed a week or so before the big day and they seemed to exist only in America (at that time) so even allowing for sudden flash of inspiration on Imselfs part, I knew I wouldn't be getting one of those due to shipping times ... but I did and made to measure at that!

How lovely!!! Both kitty and the sewing thread stand! What a lovely hubby to be so sewing-considerate  :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2017, 13:48:09 PM »
What I don't understand is how you've got empty spaces on that rack, Imi??
And I'd echo Kad in saying that embroidery threads should be kept out of the light.

Sewbee

« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2017, 13:57:40 PM »
What I don't understand is how you've got empty spaces on that rack, Imi??
And I'd echo Kad in saying that embroidery threads should be kept out of the light.

Yes. Definitely keep them out of the light. I brought all my threads from America where they were kept in a covered plastic box and some must be over 10 years old or more. They are still strong and of good colour.

Gernella

« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2017, 15:27:11 PM »
I'm a bit late to this party but it reminded me of this:

http://goodbyevalentino.com

She's managed to get herself a job as a Pfaff ambassador and so far I think she had her mits on two big embroidery machines for test driving and using designs on her clothes.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2017, 17:55:20 PM »
I'm a bit late to this party but it reminded me of this:

http://goodbyevalentino.com

She's managed to get herself a job as a Pfaff ambassador and so far I think she had her mits on two big embroidery machines for test driving and using designs on her clothes.
I have never had any desire to get involved with embroidery machines, but I love that scrollwork on the trousers.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
Hahaha the pic was taken about an hour after unwrapping on Christmas Day!

I’ve since bought the lucky dip bag of threads from eBay and have scarcely had to buy regular sewing threads since. My threads live in a large round wicker basket (regular threads), a smaller round wicker basket ( metallics) and of course a really useful storage box (variegated and quilting threads)