The Sewing Place

African Wax Fabric

Tamnymore

African Wax Fabric
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
Abakhan in Manchester have African wax fabric in again, in the remnant area, at £13.25 per kilo. They were out of stock for a long while. It's lovely, bright coloured, stuff though quite crispy. I presume this is caused by the wax process (whatever that is) and that the fabric will soften with washing. As it's in stock in Manchester I guess it is likely to be in stock in the other Abakhan branches - all over NW England and HQ in North Wales.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

Re: African Wax Fabric
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
I bought some of this, a blue and yellow lightening type pattern mmmn.... and another design, but its not too my taste...

were you after some?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 13:49:55 PM »
I bought some online for a specific project: gift for a couple who'd lived in Malawi. I still have lots left. Anyone know how well it washes?

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 13:57:52 PM »
I know DF made a fabulous Jacket from it .. she might know
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 18:28:03 PM »
I suppose the only thing to do is wash it and see! I bought a couple of lengths on ebay a few months ago just to try although, of course, they are sitting in the stash... along with everything else. I just noticed it is in Abakhan again. It is undoubtedly lively looking fabric!! 8)

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 21:04:14 PM »
I washed mine on a fairly hot wash and it was exactly the same when it came out. Annoying actually as I wanted it to be softer.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 22:13:42 PM »
That's interesting, Fran, so it remains crispy. Will have to think of some crispy clothing to use it.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 21:42:26 PM »
Wasn't there something in the last GBSB using African wax cloth - I seem to remember peplums and head wraps. Very dramatic, but not quite right for me in  Prades market!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 22:06:08 PM »
I've made several things actually.  The jacket hasn't been washed at all [underlined and historical= no washing.  The shocking pink 'riding skirt' or culottes was pre-washed and not only softened, it bled.  Wah.  The red and black Edwardian walking outfit was pre-washed, and softened a little, but it didn't have a very stiff finish anyway.  They vary A LOT, as does the quality.  Apparently 'VLISCO' make the best.
Here's  few pics

C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 22:07:13 PM »
Just realised I'm wearing the same hat in all of these- I have LOADS honest!
C'est moi!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 15:13:47 PM »
Off topic but ...I luuuurve your stone bench...lush!

And do we need a Steam Punk section...you could be its domanatri    moderater!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 15:15:50 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 15:54:02 PM »
It's OK about the hat - we have a very liberal millinery policy in TSP.  :D

Great outfits - I bet no one else has made African wax fabrics into Steampunk!

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
Off topic but ...I luuuurve your stone bench...lush!

And do we need a Steam Punk section...you could be its domanatri    moderater!
It's not our bench unfortunately, that was taken at a vintage fair that took place at a local glassblowers'/craft collective. 

I think a steampunk section in costume would be great!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »

I think a steampunk section in costume would be great!

You might be the only participant.  I am amazed at how much work you put into making these costumes.  Adore the middle image, especially the full, swishy skirt.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 18:02:28 PM »
You might be the only participant.  I am amazed at how much work you put into making these costumes.  Adore the middle image, especially the full, swishy skirt.
lol that's OK I'm in several steampunk sewing groups on FB anyway
That skirt pattern is a beauty isn't it?  Very wearable in any era [as long as you let the waist out for a non-corsetted middle!]  It's ten gores, and the high waist is also lightly boned to keep it from folding over.  I love it
C'est moi!