The Sewing Place

Official 'Face Your Phobias' Sewalong

Francesca

Official 'Face Your Phobias' Sewalong
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
Tell us your phobia and get help from the forum in tackling the project. Whether it be buttonholes, collars, free motion embroidery, or sewing with a particular fabric, this is your chance to get on with it once and for all!

Introduction
In this competition you can produce any type of sewing project. For example: garments, baby clothes, quilts, bags, hats etc. The only rule I'm going to put in place on it is that it must have a strong element of sewing e.g making stitches to bind two things together (so for example millinery especially if you're glueing elements to a hat wouldn't count). Hand-sewing is permitted for part or entirety of project.

Dates
The competition will run from Thursday 7th September - Wednesday 4th October. You have until 23.59 on the 4th to complete.

Rules
  • Your item must include some element or technique that you consider  difficult, complicated or have been putting off!
  • You can have attempted the element before, but hopefully your previous attempts will not have been perfect. This sewalong is about focusing and improving techniques, not about sewing something up that you know inside out. Please be honest in your selection so as to be fair to your other sewalong participants
  • You MUST NOT cut your fabric or start work on your phobia element until 7th September. Usually we allow toiles to be constructed before the date. In this instance I am going to allow toiles EXCEPT for the element you're facing up to. E.g if your phobia is a button placket please do not sew a button placket on your toile until after 7th. This is so that you can focus on the learning throughout the sewalong. The sewalong time has been extended to a 5-week schedule to allow extra time for this rule.
  • You must post at least 5 times in this thread to qualify. Please be involved and post updates! However posts in-thread do not constitute your entry. They are simply for enjoyment and participation. You will need to submit your project as below.
  • You must submit FOUR pictures; one of your uncut materials, one of mid-construction, one of the finished item as a whole and one detail-shot. (These pics needs to be submitted at the end, so they don't have to be posted in-thread unless you want to share).

How To Enter
Please send your finished make pictures (four required, as above) to sewalongs@thesewingplace.org.uk by the deadline, along with a short description of the project and how it went (no more than about 300 words please).

How To Win
Winners will be chosen by public vote.

Prizes
All winners receive a very special TSP Winners badge. Runners-up will receive a special virtual forum badge

Francesca

Re: Official 'Face Your Phobias' Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »
No takers for this one? :(

tumblina

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 13:10:29 PM »
Shucks, just bad timing for me. I've been wanting to start my personal "challenge series" back up, but I've got a big business trip coming up and I need to make a pair of trousers and a fall coat for that this month. I've decided to go with the soft shell Jalie coat instead of the self draft pinstripe wool with tailoring which is my Phobia project, in interest of time!! Got enough work trying to make the trousers fit, but that's nothing new  :P

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 13:58:19 PM »
Just seen this and its a possibility, if I can decide which phobia is most doable.

I am away till mid Sept so will check and see if anyone else has joined in.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 16:09:24 PM »
Hmm, would a phobia of dresses count if I made a dress??

fajita

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 21:39:58 PM »
I'm interested but can only think about one project at a time. I'm mid quilt at present. Should be finished in the next couple of days. Then I'll think about maybe a sweatshirt for the teen, or something. Will need to search out a pattern, and fabrics, and remember how to use the overbeastlocker.

Swisslass

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 19:12:37 PM »
Ok - I'll make DH a shirt with a button down collar and a pocket - I've traced the pattern (at Easter
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

fajita

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 13:25:06 PM »
I think my biggest problem is going to be choosing a pattern and fabric. I keep putting things in baskets and being unable to bring myself to buy it.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
My phobia is chiffon, but then i'm not really a chiffon type of girl, although i do have some in my stash. I'll give it some thought.  -<
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

fajita

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 15:23:34 PM »
I bought a sweatshirt pattern and some cotton jersey. I should have bought fleece. Oops. Shopping time again.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
Where are we on this?  I see that the closing date has long gone but no one seems to have entered it.  I know I really wanted to, but it was not a good time, however if it can be resurrected I for one would be able to do it now.  My phobia is putting in boning but there is a Gertie dress I want to do for Christmas so it would give me good motivation.  Anyone else?? 

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
I think the next sewalong is the Glitz and Glamour for Christmas one which sounds like it would suit your dress very well. Please contact Fran to see when it will start.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
I used my cotton jersey to make a dress. Have t bought a replacement yet.

No whipping boy, no work done.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:42 PM »
Where are we on this?  I see that the closing date has long gone but no one seems to have entered it.  I know I really wanted to, but it was not a good time, however if it can be resurrected I for one would be able to do it now.  My phobia is putting in boning but there is a Gertie dress I want to do for Christmas so it would give me good motivation.  Anyone else??
I'm about to try matching tartan, and lining a coat, but I'm sorry, I can't wait for a competition, I have the pattern and material and need to start it today if poss, I'm so impatient  :|  0_0

Ravingdoll

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 13:08:02 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the progress on that one.  Perhaps you could enter a retrospective make??