The Sewing Place

Waterproof Coat

Acorn

Waterproof Coat
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
I have just ordered this fabric (fleece lined softshell) to make the Style Arc Casey coat.

I have had a sample of the fabric and have rigorously tested it - it genuinely does seem to be waterproof (as the listing says) and not just water resistant.  I soaked and squidged and dropped water from a great height, and not a drop came through, even when I pressed the fabric tightly.

I am concerned about the seams being waterproof.  I was thinking of using something like bondaweb to make sure that the horizontal seams stay pressed upwards on the inside so that water will not fall directly onto the stitches.  The shoulder seams, however, look pretty vulnerable and I was wondering about using liquid seam sealer.  Most of the information I have found talks about using it on tents, and just mentions that it can be used on rainwear too.  Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?  This is the sort of thing I have found, and the phrase 'almost invisible' makes me very nervous.  I assume I would apply it on the inside, and this one appears to be removable with a damp cloth before it dries, but...  :o

Any other advice would, as always, be very welcome...

... and at some point I will have to think about either making a matching hat or adding a (possibly detachable) hood.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

Re: Waterproof Coat
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Nice pattern, Acorn. The only waterproofing I have used is the Scotchguard waterproofing aerosol spray which I've used to reproof after washing a raincoat. It was pretty effective.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
The only seam seal I've used was a bit sort of "stiff" and rubbery, but it's a while ago and they are probably different these days. 
You can get tape, but it is made for more like thin nylon, so wouldn't work on thicker softshell. 
I would actually question if the rain will get in the seams, softshell is going to make sort of bulky seams, which water may not get to?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:39:31 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
That's a good point - they're going to be sort of squidgy, and fill themselves out.  Mind you, Welsh rain is very determined...

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 13:45:48 PM »
Great pattern - sorry nothing else practical to add!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 15:26:27 PM »
Most truly waterproof coats have an adhesive tape across all the on seams on the inside, but I don't think that would work on the fleece.

Penine Outdoor have a range of sealants, but I think that any of them would make a bit of a mess on fleece.

Another alterative might be to incorporate a storm flap/shoulder cape into the coat design.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 20:18:07 PM »
Oooh interesting, I'm planning this with
this after my upcoming jollies.

I've started assembling the pattern and the fabric is on its way.

Hopefully by the time I get home Acorn, you should have started your coat and worked out some of the best ways to use soft shell.

I'm not too worried about it being totally waterproof as our Yorksire rain is a bit wimpy compared to the Welsh stuff. ;)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 20:43:08 PM »
Ooh, very nice.  :D  I had a sample of that fabric with pink swallows, but Mr Acorn talked me into the red - they're just the same fabrics though, so that should be interesting.

I also have a sample of a denim softshell with fleece backing which is amazing - waterproof but looks and feels like denim.  (Mr Acorn said 'Are you going to wear it with jeans?'  Me: 'Yes'.  Him: 'Double denim!!! No!!!')  If I get on well with the red one I might make a denim one to wear with anything that isn't blue denim.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 20:54:49 PM »
Denim softshell sounds very interesting, where did you get it?

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 21:27:16 PM »
It was from myfabrics.co.uk - this one.  There are a couple of patterned denims on there too, and also some softshells where a pattern appears when the fabric gets wet.   0_0

Roger

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 21:38:37 PM »
You could switch to a Raglan sleeve. Which would remove the exposed shoulder seam weakness.

You could go to mountain warehouse or something and check how they manage seams. I think there's 2 main approaches taped and sealed, although I think there's a new one too where the seams are heat fixed rather than sewn, sort of bonded.

Hope you find a good solution.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Hachi

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
Sewaholic had a post on waterproofing (here) but as mentioned above, the sealing tape may not work on the fleece backed fabric.

A flat felled seam may help prevent the water to seep through?

Bogwoppit

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 18:04:10 PM »
Just checked on my shop bought water/windproof fleece, no tape. Seams look like they are overlooked together and then stitched down to lie flat. It does have raglan sleeves. I've not worn it long in absolutely torrential rain (no hood) but it's never let me down. It's quite old now, before softshell was common but is pretty similar stuff.

I've been trying to find a replacement as it's starting to wear out, no luck after a year searching so maybe I need to sew one!
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
It was from myfabrics.co.uk - this one.  There are a couple of patterned denims on there too, and also some softshells where a pattern appears when the fabric gets wet.   0_0
Thanks Acorn, only just noticed your reply. I've just looked at it and thought it's not cheap, but I may treat myself - 0.5m left, aarrrggghhhh!!!!  :'(

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 22:45:31 PM »
My soft shell has been delivered and I'm very impressed, its much softer and more fluid than I thought it would be. Can't wait to get started but have 12 days in the motorhome first.

That denim soft shell from Myfabrics is due back in stock mid Sept so may have to get some when I get home. 0_0