The Sewing Place

Back opening in stretch tutus

Thecostumelady

Back opening in stretch tutus
« on: September 01, 2017, 20:04:55 PM »
Thanks Yellowfeather for the advice re back opening you supplied in the other thread. (Where are all the Tutu makers?...)  I will give it a go just as soon as I get the chance.  Thought I had better start a new thread for this as the previous one could become a bit cumbersome.  There are so many different problems in tutu making but it is fascinating.  Ann x

Yellowfeather

Re: Back opening in stretch tutus
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 13:54:40 PM »
You are welcome, i hope it helps!  If i can find some pictures, i will try to post them on here for you. 

Heikedog

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 22:13:49 PM »
I made one using Dani Legge's stretch pattern, and I simply left the back leo seam open as far as I needed. I used individual hooks and eyes to close the back.

Thecostumelady

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
That looks great....did you stabilise it with anything?

Oakmaiden

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »
Really stupid question here - how have you done the seams in the front lining?  They are really neat, almost like piping... :[

Heikedog

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 13:11:09 PM »
I didn't use anything additional to stabilize. The leo was lined all the way around so folding in the seam allowance gave me four layers of fabric to attach the hooks and eyes. Stable enough for the skinny kid who wore it!

I love the faux princess seams!

Oakmaiden

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 13:41:12 PM »
Oooooh, I see!  So they are effectively tiny tucks, rather than actual seams?

They are beautiful...

Heikedog

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 14:43:17 PM »
They are pin tucks.

Thecostumelady

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 16:02:16 PM »
I see you have bound the top rather than elasticated it  - or is there elastic inside the binding? Ann x

Heikedog

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 17:17:52 PM »
No, it's bias tape in the front so it's not really a 100% "stretch" tutu. The back is "bound" with soft fold-over elastic.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 17:19:44 PM by Heikedog »

Thecostumelady

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 23:31:44 PM »
Decided to have a go at back opening on a tutu I started today.  I decided to try to do a bit of a fusion so I extended the back pieces by 1.5" as in non-stretch and stitched a centre back line in both back pieces for my fold-back placings. I intend to turn under the right hand side and place hooks underneath, quarter inch to the right of the c.back edge. I will leave the left hand side extension as the underlap, stitching the eyes level with the centre back marking.  Just as you would with a non-stretch.  As HD says, with fabric and lining layers it seems stable enough not to gap between the hooks/eyes.
I decided to open the skirt a bit too to help with pleated net stretching over the seat area, so I put a seam in the back of the pants and added an extension of again 1.5 inches to the back edges but only to about 3" down. Up to now I have only pinned the bodice to the pants but it looks like it is going to work okay.  By the way, I am using the Jalie tutu pattern (with my own amendments!).  Quite pleased with myself today  :D  Will let you know how it goes.  Ann x 

TTDSeminarsUK

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
You need to stabilise the back opening to avoid gaping when on the body as the stretch will pull away from the hooks and bars.  A length of cotton tape down each side stops this happening.