The Sewing Place

Bernina Machines - not so popular?

Sewbee

Bernina Machines - not so popular?
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
I am about to buy a Bernina 570 but I have to ask ... are Berninas not so popular these days? Some dealers don't even sell them, let alone recommend them (in UK at least). Some say they are still the Rolls Royce of sewing machines but when I do searches on Google related to various aspects of machines, Bernina rarely shows up.

On the other hand, I read about lots of Janome, Brother, and even Singer.

What's happened in the industry in the ten years I haven't sewed?

Lowena

Re: Bernina Machines - not so popular?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:47:30 AM »
My local shop says they don't stock Bernina because their customer service is so bad  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
My local shop says they don't stock Bernina because their customer service is so bad  -<

Doesn't that depend on the dealer, though?

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
They say when they ring up Brother or Janome for advice, queries, they get by far the best customer service and satisfaction. Also the quickest delivery of spares. Bernina and Pfaff not so much  -< I only know what they told me  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
I think the Japanese machines are just as good, if not better, and have a much more attractive price.  Bernina rely heavily on their reputation; historically their machines were Swiss manufactured and regarded as bombproof, but the majority are manufactured elsewhere now - whilst still charging the earth for them!
I'd go for a Juki any time. ;)

arrow

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
Here the customer service is still very good, machines are reliable and I haven't heard of owners regretting their choice. The main factor is usually the price; you can get a Janome or Brother model with similar functions for less. I guess customer service is very dependant on the individuals we deal with and it will vary regardless of brand.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
I've heard excellent things about Juki machines, and Jaguar too (they manufacture a lot for other people). I gather Bernina manufacture in china/ Taiwan etc, to keep the cost down but each run is overseen by a bernina trained QA person, how true I don't know...

But the more important question Sewbee.... have you considered an older bernina? The reputation on them is completely solid, as many vintage machines are!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 14:08:53 PM »
I have to add that only a few of the Bernettes have been given that rave reviews. Most people like them, but like always it has to do with price in relation to quality. They are not worse machines than the average sewing machine in the same price range, but we expect a lot from Bernina. The 570 has the stitch regulator, and lots of buttonholes, and it's spot on what I'm interested in. There's a lot of generalisation and mix up of info when it comes to reputation, but I would listen to first hand info on a machine and I would test sew before I spend the money since it's quite an investment.

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 14:43:33 PM »
I've heard excellent things about Juki machines, and Jaguar too (they manufacture a lot for other people). I gather Bernina manufacture in china/ Taiwan etc, to keep the cost down but each run is overseen by a bernina trained QA person, how true I don't know...

But the more important question Sewbee.... have you considered an older bernina? The reputation on them is completely solid, as many vintage machines are!

Yes, I have. I have had Berninas all my life so the dealer is also looking out for a good 930 for me. I used to have one and it was outstanding.

Having said that I still want a new machine. I used to have the 930 and a computerised machine years ago. I like the extra features that come with them.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 16:18:05 PM »
I think most of the Berninas still are made in Switzerland. I know some parts are made in Asia, as well as overlockers and the Bernettes. Bernina costs a bit more for a reason, and it's not only because of wages in Europe; the testing and quality control are different, the factory is run differently.  I think each Bernina still comes with a stitch sample from factory, and I don't think anyone else do that anymore. There's will always be advantages to the different brands and models, and there are lots of good machines available. From what I know, I still hold Bernina in high regard.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 17:03:10 PM »
I think most of the Berninas still are made in Switzerland. I know some parts are made in Asia, as well as overlockers and the Bernettes. Bernina costs a bit more for a reason, and it's not only because of wages in Europe; the testing and quality control are different, the factory is run differently.  I think each Bernina still comes with a stitch sample from factory, and I don't think anyone else do that anymore. There's will always be advantages to the different brands and models, and there are lots of good machines available. From what I know, I still hold Bernina in high regard.

According to my dealer Berninas are made in Thailand but in a factory with Swiss management.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 17:35:23 PM »
I keep reading conflicting info on this too, the factory in Steckborn is still up and running as far as I know. I know they work with partners in Asia and have done for years, but I don't know all the details. Either way, a Bernina turned out to catch my attention when test sewing between various models a few years a go, it was when the new 700 series was new. I liked it, but they just cost to much for my use. I still think they are better than most when it comes to quality, but don't get me wrong, I'm not disregarding any other brand becuse of it. There's always something; price, personal preferances, what we are used, features we look for... You have to test sew before you decide; we tend to live with these machines for years.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 17:37:45 PM by arrow »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 18:53:12 PM »
Berninas aren't made in Switzerland like they used to be.  Not sure if the TOL ones are.  Bernettes aren't actually made by them and are completely different to a Bernina.  Their overlockers are made by someone else too. 
Bernina like Husqvarna have their own factories abroad and are in control of the production. 
As said, the reason they are not so popular is price and value for money.  And accessories are very expensive.  You get so much more with a Brother or Janome.  And having used and demonstrated  so many different machines I would also suggest that Berninas are not very user friendly. 

supergran

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 20:27:56 PM »
I agree in part with what OSS says, the Berninas are very expensive compared to Janome and Brother, but having used all three brands in recent years I would choose a Bernina every time. I would love a TOL one but finances won't allow and my latest is a 350PE. I also have a 1008 which is a superb workhorse and both will sew through anything I have asked of them without any problems, unlike either of the other two brands. I don't agree that they are not user friendly, although I don't know enough about the TOL ones to have any opinions on them.
Have fun with the 570 Sewbee, and know that I am very jealous!  8)

twopence

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 20:37:22 PM »
I have a Bernina 570 which I bought just over a year ago and I am a great fan of Berninas.  This is my third and my two daughters have the others.  Previously I have owned a Brother and a Toyota which I wore out.

I love the 570 and also bought the embroidery unit which I need to play more with.