The Sewing Place

First costume we made at uni

Twan

First costume we made at uni
« on: March 05, 2017, 13:29:34 PM »
I wasn't very often online on TSF and might not be so much on here, however I loved sharing ideas and asking for info. I mainly made costumes for the amateur musical company I was with, until I started uni last year.

For this project we were in divided in groups with mixed Costume Designers and Interpreters. The 7 of us had 2 weeks to make the costume from the design (we all had to make designs in the unit before, about 450 in total the tutors had to choose from to make 10 costumes).

I spent most of the time in the dye room, trying to match the colours and I have silk screen printed the kimono with my classmate for which I also made up the design to make the screen. None of the fabrics you see started off in the colour the are and they all have been worked into.

2 girls have spend 2 days embroidering the scream shift as we didn't want to paint/print everything.
I made the harem pants and have worked together on the kimono and waist coat. I also did machine embroidery on the neckline of the shift.

We had 40 pounds to spend at Uni and 40 outside uni... we did go over budget even if we used some free stuff. The embroidery thread cost quite a lot and we bought some expensive silk noil for the waist coat and light wool for the harems as we thought we had enough to spend haha

All together loads of fun and long days, but we were really happy with the final result :)

We had a Costume Show on Friday for other students to see our work. The photo here is from the rehearsal :)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 13:34:21 PM by Twan »

fajita

Re: First costume we made at uni
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 13:36:30 PM »
How very impressive.
It must be such an exciting course to be on.
If I had my time again (old gimmer emoticon), I think I'd like to do something like that.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 13:40:59 PM »
They look amazing Twan ., love the colours they look just like the print.. Glad to see you found us .. Do post your makes if you have a chance .. I expect you have exams / end of year work to sort out..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 21:17:54 PM »
What an exciting project and a great result. Look forward to seeing more from you whenever you can!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 21:35:44 PM »
Wonderful stuff.  Always look forward to your posts.

Look forward to the next batch!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Twan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 23:21:30 PM »
Thanks all!

The rest of this year (after a month off for Easter), will be a lot of technical lessons. We will also make a tailored waistcoat, work on replicating a hat (for which we will have a show again) and some wig making and beading. Next year will be loads and loads of costume making :D

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 23:34:04 PM »
How exciting to be undertaking such a course. I am a little envious  ;)
Was Sewnanny