The Sewing Place

Theo's changing mat

b15erk

Theo's changing mat
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
Not sure if this is the proper place for this, if not, please move it....

DD asked for these, as I'd done a few for Lilya and she really liked them.

I'm afraid it isn't very square as my cutting mat and rotary cutter were at work, this means that the 'quilting' (such as it is) looks even more wonky than it is!

Four layers here, top fabric, batting (just leftovers), PUL (waterproof stuff - v slippy!), and bottom fabric.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

Re: Theo's changing mat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
That's beautiful J, what gorgeous fabric and I love you making a feature of the BS around the pic on the back ... very neat.
How big is it and which fabric is it ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
That's lovely J... and much better than all white  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
The mat is 18"x18" Imi.  Fabric is Swallows and Amazons on the back (special commision but not collected I believe, lovely quality though), and the front star fabric is John Lewis furnishing fabric.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »
Jessie I love the swallows and Amazons fabric and have googled but nothing comes up does it have a producer/ name on the side of the fabric? I have a great nephew who has a pirate theme room and was thinking that would make a good toy bag.. any info gratefully received  :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »
That's beautiful.  Have you done the blanket stitch around the centre square on the back by hand?

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Veg, I got it from my local fabric shop, and all they could tell me was that it had been a special order which was never collected, there is no information on the selvedge at all. 

I'm happy to pick some up for you and post it (if they have any left!), but it would be Saturday. 

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
SS, yes, I used some iron on stuff to stick it on first, and then a machine blanket stitch around the edge.

Jessie

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Well after  a chat with Jessie I rang her favourite fabric shop Bedford Fabrics in St Helens
http://www.bedfordfabrics.co.uk/ they don't sell online but I described the fabric and asked if they would post .. they checked with the boss and a very helpful lady called Emma has sorted it all out the delivery charge was £10 which I thought was very fair for 10m and it should be here tomorrow :loveit:

Thank you Jessie  :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
You're very welcome Veg!  I don't think you will be disappointed, it's really nice quality  :)

Jessie

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 15:19:43 PM »
10 metres !!!!  :o !!!!

You really need that much Vege ?? What are you going to make???

I saw some of the cutest PJs in one of our posher shops in town made from Retro rocket fabric, but they only go to a size /age 10 ..... now I maybe quite small, as women go these days, but not that small!!!  D'oh!!

Why do kids have all the fun ??? They have great duvet covers too, but never in a double!!! Double D'oh!

If I had the fabric I would make myself a nightshirt ... So what are you going to make ????

Vegegrow

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 15:40:48 PM »
Cushions .. Toy Bags ... Aprons .. it was only £3.50 a metre  so with postage £4.50 a metre and that's a great price

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 16:22:52 PM »
That is a SPECTACULAR Price!!!!!  :o

Do you fancy selling a couple of metres????

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 21:56:57 PM »
That's gorgeous, I love the fabric. I made a travelling change mat for my grandson, but the top layer was plastic coated! Not sure it's ever been used as his mum is a knee changer ( quite a skill!) Yours is much more luxurious.

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 17:23:01 PM »
Just to say fabric arrived less than 24 hours later from Bedfords excellent service and fabric is lovely a crisp cotton 150cm wide as well...  :loveit: